TDCAA Community
TLETS/Criminal History

This topic can be found at:
https://tdcaa.infopop.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/157098965/m/1013900697

June 16, 2021, 13:35
M Rittenberry
TLETS/Criminal History
our office is prosecuting an officer under 39.02 for using running criminal background checks for personal benefit. I am striking out in finding case law for anything regarding TLETS misuse. Does anyone know of any and anyone who may have prosecuted such a case?

Michael T. Rittenberry
June 16, 2021, 14:46
Frank Lacy
Not directly responsive, but there is a very recent (maybe 2-3 months ago) U S Supreme Court case to the effect that "unauthorized use" of a computer (or system) did NOT apply when the user had authorization to use the computer. I had to read the case a couple of times, and still don't really agree with the outcome. Sorry I don't have a cite for the case, but you may be able to find it on a current Supreme Court blog. I'll keep looking.
June 16, 2021, 14:49
Frank Lacy
Case was Van Buren v. US - June 3, 2021.
June 16, 2021, 15:13
M Rittenberry
thank you for the information. I had come across that case and I came away with the same thoughts. I appreciate your response.

Michael T. Rittenberry
June 17, 2021, 08:09
GP
We had a similar issue come up recently and I reviewed the Van Buren case, but that case was interpreting the Federal Cybercrime law and not 33.02. 33.02(b-1)(2) would seem to cover this situation as the access by your officer is in violation of a clear and conspicuous prohibition. Because of the broad language that subsection may fit your case.
June 17, 2021, 16:31
M Rittenberry
Much appreciated, that will definitely be considered in the future.

Michael T. Rittenberry