TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Spitting at School
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spitting at School Login/Join 
posted
Here are my facts: Teacher is suspicious that student is spitting in her drink at school. She leaves her tea sitting out and has someone watch it. Sure enough, student comes by and spits in it.

While I believe that spitting in any fashion should be at least a state jail felony, I can't figure out an offense. Tampering with consumer product doesn't really work, since the tampering occurred after the sale of the product had occurred. Never mind that I would have to prove that SBI would occur. I considered retaliation, but I can't figure out what the threatened unlawful act would be. While a high school might resemble a correctional facility, it's not, so the chunking statute wouldn't apply.

Hopefully I am missing the obvious answer. Any suggestions?

Posts: 77 | Location: Nacogdoches County, Texas | Registered: April 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This thread might help. https://tdcaa.infopop.net/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=347098965&f=157098965&m=864101992&r=375102992#375102992

A retaliation charge may be possible. A teacher is a public servant. In re F.C., No. 03-02-00463-CV 2003 WL 21282766 (Tex.App.-Austin June 5, 2003, no pet) (mem op.).

Posts: 527 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas, | Registered: May 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tell the school to discipline the kid. Stretching a statute to fit this situation just causes more problems. The criminal and juvenile courts cannot solve all problems that occur at school.

Posts: 1029 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Steph, don't you think an administrative remedy by the district is best? Surely they have a choice of mechanisms available to discipline, suspend, put in alt learning center, detention, etc.

Posts: 28 | Location: Richmond, Texas | Registered: June 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ditto !

Gross yes, but fitting of something worse than 30-45 days in Alternative School, no.

Posts: 641 | Location: Longview, Texas | Registered: October 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saturday detentions were all the rage back in the 80's as a punishment for this sort of high school behavior. I hated having to scrape chewed gum off of the bottom of desks.

Suggest to the school that the spitter serve in-school suspension or detention on a Saturday or whatever punishment they see fit. I don't see a 'criminal' act here.

Posts: 764 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suggest that the school district should allow the teacher to prepare the child's lunch, out of view of the child - but supervised by a few of the child's known enemies, and it be presented to the child for consumption, just to see if the kid likes the tables turned. It might make a great point.

Posts: 319 | Location: Midland, TX | Registered: January 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Heck, why not just make the child fill up a teacup with his own spit and drink it? After all, if he thinks it's good enough for his teacher he ought to be willing to swallow it himself. And that way we know he can't complain about not knowing what might be in it

Posts: 622 | Location: San Marcos | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the all-time "gross-a-meter", Wes, you scored a "10" with that one.

Posts: 319 | Location: Midland, TX | Registered: January 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks! It's nice to be recognized for my accomplishments.

Posts: 622 | Location: San Marcos | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bet that teacher won't leave her iced tea sitting unattended anymore, will she?

Posts: 28 | Location: Richmond, Texas | Registered: June 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Also available at the Washington Post website:
Garfield

Posts: 218 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm just taking a stab in the dark here, but you two are big fans of "Fear Factor", aren't you? ;-)

Thanks for all the input. You are probably right that the best remedy is to let the school handle this administratively. Like I said, I just have problems with the whole spitting issue. But the good news is that the school police haven't called me back. Maybe they decided to handle this one on their own!

Thanks again!

Posts: 77 | Location: Nacogdoches County, Texas | Registered: April 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your unlawful act for Retaliation is Class C Assault.

Posts: 2 | Registered: November 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stephanie Stephens:
I'm just taking a stab in the dark here, but you two are big fans of "Fear Factor", aren't you?

I actually can't stand Fear Factor, since eating gross stuff is really less "fearful" than just nauseating...perhaps if all the contestants were punks who had done gross things to someone else...