TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Pyramid schemes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pyramid schemes Login/Join 
posted
Has anyone prosecuted one of these cases recently? I know this use to be a crime in Texas (TPC 32.48), but I can't find the statute that criminalizes "pyramid" or "endless chain" schemes. Can anyone help? Is it still illegal in Texas? Thanks. Confused

Posts: 126 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: October 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Houston had a bunch of these cases a few years ago. Williamson County had some, too. The law is in the Business Code. Houston also did some serious forfeiting of money, and a subsequent appellate case affirmed their work.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shane, the Pyramid Scheme is Sec. 17.461 of the Business and Commerce Code. I have indictments and information I would be happy to share with you.

This scheme was the same as those in Williamson and Harris, and was blatant. No products, just cash.

Posts: 97 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The biggest Ponzi scheme going is social security. I wish you could go after the crooks running that scam. Is there anyone under age 45 who really thinks he will see much, if any, of his contribution?

Posts: 723 | Location: Fort Worth, TX, USA | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shane: You should call Russel Turbeville. He is the Chief of our Consumer Fraud Division at Harris County and has been for years. He has done a bunch of these and can give you a lot of good advice.

Call 713-755-5836

Posts: 32 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: February 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post