TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    can the defense attorney call my witness??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

can the defense attorney call my witness?? Login/Join 
posted
I'm conducting a short bench trial for a juvenile case. The trial had to be continued from last week (after I rested). The defense will present their case tomorrow.

In any event, the victim in the case testified in my case in chief. The defense attorney cross-examined the witness. The witness was then excused by the court. I've come to learn that the defense attorney has subpoenaed the witness and intends to call my witness as part of her case in chief tomorrow. Can I stop this?

There have been no new developments in this case to justify calling my witness. The defense attorney cross examined this witness during my case in chief. It certainly seems that defense is trying to get another bite at the apple without justifying the reason.

Posts: 20 | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It has been my experience that the defense can rely on the State's subpoenas, and can "re-call" any witness the State calls. Sorry, but it looks like she just forgot to ask some questions and wants to ask them now. HINT: if she is calling a witness, don't let her lead until she has proven that the witness is adverse.

Posts: 71 | Location: Angleton, Texas, USA | Registered: September 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the opportunity to lead your own witness on cross is also potentially useful.

Posts: 65 | Location: Athens, TX - Henderson County | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They can certainly recall the witness if the court allows it but, if they were released from the subpoena by the court, I don't think you are under any obligation to assist them in getting the witness back. If they were released subject to recall, they can rely on your subpoena.

Wait till a weak kneed judge allows the defense to "reserve their cross" of your witness until they present their case. I have had this happen several times. Usually the judge will shut this down, but I have had it happen in a sexual assault of a child case where the witness was the victim. To say I was angry does not begin to describe how I felt when the court allowed the defense attorney to drag the child through the experience twice. the jury was not happy either.

Posts: 233 | Location: Anderson, Texas | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My trial partner and I are going through reserved crosses, defense calling our extraneous victims in their case-in-chief, etc. right now. Trial in progress. And delayed two days for bad weather. Yikes!

Posts: 145 | Location: Bryan/College Station | Registered: April 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let me guess.... does the defense attorney's name begin with David and/or Travis???????

Posts: 233 | Location: Anderson, Texas | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yes, both

and not done yet

Posts: 145 | Location: Bryan/College Station | Registered: April 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post