TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    reckless in firearm deadly conduct
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

reckless in firearm deadly conduct Login/Join 
posted
Def admits to shooting at cars at two different locations because he was mad at the owners. There were people inside buildings at both locations, it was late at night so most people were asleep. Shotgun was used and made contact with windshields, a washing machine, and a corner of the house.

What type of "recklessness" are we required to show in that he was reckless as to whether the vehicles were occupied? Just that he didn't look in the cars first? I don't think I can prove that...no eye witnesses to the actual shots fired.

Posts: 526 | Location: Del Rio, Texas | Registered: April 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are concerned with proof of being reckless as to whether the car was occupied try an alternate charge of criminal mischief. Sec. 28.03 which is a state jail felony if the damage is to a habitation, is under $1,500, and caused by a firearm. This does not require any mental state as to occupancy.

Posts: 109 | Location: Llano, TX USA | Registered: June 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That might be the easier route, I was thinking that, too. It seems like it is always reckless to shoot at anything that could contain people without first knocking or looking in window to see if anyone is in there. But recklessness is only "presumed" if the gun is pointed at a person. And that would seem more like agg assault than deadly conduct, anyway, so it seems to be a difficult statute to meet the elements for and unnecessarily difficult to prove. I think you are right and I will probably just take the easy route!

Posts: 526 | Location: Del Rio, Texas | Registered: April 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post