TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Deferred Adjudication-State Jail
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deferred Adjudication-State Jail Login/Join 
posted
can a judge give ten years deferred adjudication on a state jail felony?

Posts: 10 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas,United States | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yes

Posts: 374 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
See page 76 of The Perfect Plea for a discussion on the length of time for supervision in deferred adjudication cases.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Page 76 of The Perfect Plea mentions felonies, does that include state jails. Also is there anywhere in the Code of Criminal Procedure where this is specifically addressed?

Posts: 10 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas,United States | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A state jail felony is, indeed, a felony. Nothing in 42.12 suggests a different length of supervision for a state jail felony deferred (unlike regular probation following conviction). You just have to trust me on this one.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Im just looking for something I can point my judge to that makes this clear. There is case law however they are only unpublished opinions and are from 1999.

posted Hide Post
What? Your judge wants something more than "JB says so"?

Posts: 515 | Location: austin, tx, usa | Registered: July 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find it sad that so many judges are reluctant to accept the plain words of a statute. Particularly a statute that been in effect for 15 years.