TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Training materials...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Training materials... Login/Join 
posted
One of my local PDs is wanting us to give a class to the officers on report writing and testifying in court. Does anyone have any training materials that they could share with me? I have the wonderful TDCAA Offense Report Manual and will certainly be using that. We will also be spending a good amount of time on Terry stops and patdowns.

If you have any materials, please send them on to me at sheatly@co.wilbarger.tx.us.

Posts: 146 | Location: Vernon, Texas | Registered: February 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I strongly recommend the TDCAA publication "Traffic Stops" as an easy read on Terry and probable cause.

Posts: 374 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maria McAnulty, who is a felony division chief in the Harris County District Attorney's Office, taught that very topic at the Houston Police Department Academy for several years. You can email her at mcanulty_maria@dao.hctx.net. Her phone number is 713-755-6173.

Posts: 32 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: February 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does DPS teach troopers how to testify? I've seen a few and they came across as professional, honest, thoughtful and well spoken.

Posts: 689 | Registered: March 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, DPS recruits are taught trial conduct and testifying skills as part of their recruit school. I taught Arrest, search, and seizure to several schools and always worked in testifying tips for the recruits as part of my course. I even put together a list of testifying dos and don'ts.

Janette A

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sent you a couple of powerpoints. If you don't get an e-mail and are interested, please let me know.

Posts: 526 | Location: Del Rio, Texas | Registered: April 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have e-mailed you a copy of an Offense Report Manual distributed by TDCAA.

Posts: 1029 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone for the emails and information. Whenever I need any help with anything I know that fellow prosecutors will be right there to help. Thanks everyone and thanks TDCAA!

Posts: 146 | Location: Vernon, Texas | Registered: February 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post