TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Westlaw Next
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Westlaw Next Login/Join 
posted
Just saw a demo for Westlaw Next. It looks awesome. Legal research for the 21st century. A major interface improvement.

But there's a catch.

West wants you to pay a substantially more money in order to have a product that actually works well. Sigh. So, if your rep wants you to take an hour out of your day to look at their "new interface," tell them you don't have a budget for it and decline the meeting.

[This message was edited by Quiet Man on 02-23-10 at .]

Posts: 90 | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, Westlaw charges are already too high.

Posts: 444 | Location: Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lexis is the way to go. Almost as good as Apple computers.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, on the plus side, Westlaw Next appears much like a Westlaw designed by Apple. Very clean, very intuitive. They brought in people from the outside to bring it into the modern Web.

But you pay the premium for an Apple computer one time. Imagine if we had to pay Apple extra money every month. It is a sly business plan.

But this isn't a new service, its just a service that works as it should. So, in comparison, it is more like a service pack for Windows--and those are free.

posted Hide Post
I miss Lexis. We have Westlaw now.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Quiet Man is a Mac hater.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually, Quiet Man bought his first Mac in 1985, and currently owns three Macs, 2 Ipods, and and Iphone. Apple products carry a small price premium, but this one time premium is a small price to pay for a superior product with a longer useful life than the typical Windows paperweight.

If I had to pay Apple every month for using their computers, I probably would not do so.

posted Hide Post
We use Westlaw, but haven't been approached w/ the new interface. I got a quote from Lexis, and told our Westlaw rep, and Westlaw MATCHED the Lexis quote.

Posts: 10 | Location: Cuero, TX USA | Registered: February 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post