TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Justice Miers?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Justice Miers? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I would look forward to reading SC opinions if Justice Gray were on the Court. Ann Coulter might have some interesting written opinions as well.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If we look to state appellate judges with criminal experience, Judge Cochran would seem to be an excellent choice. She has more practical experience and has demonstrated more legal scholarship than most judges. As governor, the President must have known her. Maybe she gracefully declined? Chief Justice Gray also stands out. Both write well-thought out and interesting opinions.

Posts: 532 | Location: McKinney, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the idea of a justice with a degree in mathematics instead of in the usual "read and regurgitate" majors like political 'science', psychology, and history. It suggests a little intellectual rigor.

Posts: 71 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: January 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, a Supreme Court Justice doesn't seem to have any required qualifications let alone a law degree, so let's step outside the box & reach beyond lawyers!

Posts: 532 | Location: McKinney, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will ANYONE else be better? Was this the plan all along? Will the next nomination be a safe one?

posted Hide Post
Once again, I nominate the People's Choice (well, this person anyway) David Newell, appellate guru of Fort Bend County.

Failing that, Justice Gray would be my next choice. A fine gentleman, sat next to him at an appellate seminar several years ago. Great opinions.

Wasn't Judge Cochran one of the President's criminal justice advisors when the Pres was Gov. prior to her tenure on the Court?

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've wondered that very question, whether this was the plan all along, but upon reflection, it doesn't seem like it was (and if it was, it certainly wasn't a good one). What does it benefit the president to nominate someone he knows will anger everyone (particularly his base), let it bleed his support, and then reluctantly allow her to withdraw her name after she's responded to questions in numerous venues with answers that made her look unqualified? After this process, is he really in a stronger position to nominate someone that will satisfy more conservatives? What chance would someone like Luttig have now? Or Rodgers?

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Judge Alito actually has experience as a prosecutor. With a background like that, we can only hope he is approved.