TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Reasons to eliminate the parole board
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reasons to eliminate the parole board Login/Join 
<Bob Cole>
posted
Time to build new prisons:

Paroled Killer kills again

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prior thread on the topic

Parole Horror Stories

Posts: 200 | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Isn't that just a "technical violation" of some kind?

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Truth in sentencing, where defendants receive unemotionally-inflated sentences and then actually have to serve a substantial portion of that sentence, would be a real gift that the lege could give the citizens of Texas.

But that would bring us back to Bob's beginning comment - build enough prisons.

Query: what do you call a long prison sentence and no cell to serve it in?

Defendant says: gift.
Parole Officer says: lack of resources.
Legislator says: balanced budget.
Citizen says: sham.

I wonder what Jessica Lewalling would say?

Posts: 44 | Location: Amarillo, Tx, USA | Registered: March 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In 2004, a jury in WC sentenced a repeat offender to 50 years in prison. Two years ago, I started receiving notice of parole eligibility. In 2009, parole was granted.

That means the Parole Board was authorized to give early release to an offender who had served 10 percent of his sentence. Seems like that was happening back in the 1980's, when things went crazy.

The reason the Parole Board could do that was because of the very liberal granting of good conduct and work credits. He had to achieve a mathematical equivalent of 1/4th of the sentence.

Give me a break. This is craziness. He committed his crime while he was on parole from TYC.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post