TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Prosecutors Already Know This
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prosecutors Already Know This Login/Join 
posted
The wrong baby name may make a boy bad

Top 10 "bad boy" baby names
"Ivan" may be terrible, and "Alec" not a smart choice, new study suggests

New parents may balk at naming their newborn boys such tried-and-true but yawn-inducing names as Michael or David -- but a new study shows that if they play it safe, they may be doing their babies a favor.

Writing in Social Science Quarterly, Shippensburg University professor David Kalist says giving newborn males oddball, girly or strange first names may just help land them in jail.

In alphabetical order, the Top 10 "bad boy" names, according to Kalist, are Alec, Ernest, Garland, Ivan, Kareem, Luke, Malcolm, Preston, Tyrell and Walter.

MSNBC article

Ed.--they must not have studied Texas inmates, no Dewayne, Dwayne, or Wayne.

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is a list of killers with the middle name Wayne.

Posts: 689 | Registered: March 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had no idea my name was so . . . *yawn* . . . boring.

D'oh!

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Isn't that why you always put so many loud sounds and fancy clips in your presentations, to wake us all up from your boring name? Smile

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's David Ernest Tyrell Newell to you.

Posts: 73 | Location: Richmond, TX | Registered: January 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually, it was originally Kareem David Ernest Tyrell Newell, but I dropped the Kareem because too many people were confusing me with the professional basketball player.

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tyrell? I would have gone for Tiberius.

Posts: 374 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
KHHHAAAAANNNN!!!! KHHHAAAAANNNN!!!!

posted Hide Post
I go to the Legislative Update for an afternoon and look what *yawn* happens. Smile

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, how was the update?

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent, of course. Floyd Jennings made an appearance and it was very nice to see him after five years. He's a very nice gentleman. Likewise, always nice seeing Dain Whitworth.

As always, it's nice to see our friends at TDCAA and from other offices.

I know they had the Austin update on the heels of a baby prosecutor school. I'm sure they were tired after running that seminar all week, but you couldn't tell from the excellent presentation they gave.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Wayne" , "Dwayne", "D'wayne" or any derivative of that name used as a middle name virtually assures criminal predisposition. My daughter goes to school with a boy named "Dwayne Dwayne" pronounced "Dwon Dwayne". I'm convinced he will be a serial killer.

Posts: 233 | Location: Anderson, Texas | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For full disclosure, I should point out that my brother's middle name is Wayne. He doesn't yet have a criminal history. But he's always hated that name, and never more since I started prosecuting. Big Grin

Also, I once knew a "Twayne". Does he have any hope of avoiding a life of crime?

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What, are you telling me that Dwayne Wayne from A Different World is a criminal? Say it ain't so!

Posts: 286 | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Andrea, your bother is fighting an uphill battle.

Dwayne Wayne is DOOMED!

Posts: 233 | Location: Anderson, Texas | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Well, it's a wonder I haven't gone on a killing spree yet. But I guess now you people are on notice ...

Roll Eyes

If you want a really interesting study of child names, read Freakonomics by Leavitt and Dubner (who also have a blog here: http://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.com/). The book contains a fascinating study about names, how names "migrate" through different socio-economic strata, why parents name their kids what they do, and what effect an odd name has on a kid (some of the case studies are fascinating!).

Posts: 2424 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Middle name "Lee" = career criminal.

Reshuffling the entirety of the closed appellate files in Dallas Co. back a couple of years ago taught us that one.

(full disclosure: it is my middle name, but I have yet to establish myself as a career criminal)

Posts: 13 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: January 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What about the feminine version? I'm a Leigh myself. Smile (Mom wanted to name my brother "Wayne Lee" originally, actually. Man, he would've been doomed!)