TDCAA Community
BMV PC 30.04

This topic can be found at:
https://tdcaa.infopop.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/157098965/m/1327076616

June 21, 2018, 14:15
VZADAW
BMV PC 30.04
This feels like a law school question, but we have these facts: Victim pulls up to gas station, goes inside for some cigarettes, and leaves his wallet sitting on his hog. Defendant walks along and steals his wallet. Burglary of a Motor Vehicle or simple Theft? Has some interesting enhancement permutations due to Defendant's prior activities.
June 22, 2018, 12:09
Jason Bujnosek
I'd have to go with no, based on cases like Richardson v. State, 888 S.W.2d 822 (Tex. Crim. App. 1994). Reaching into the bed of a pickup to steal something requires entry into a part of the vehicle, even though that part is perpetually open. Entry is a required element of burglary; the case refers to it as "breaking of the close." So, taking stuff in the bed of a pickup, or out of an unlocked toolbox in it, is burglary. Taking something from the outside of the vehicle, like tires or hubcaps, is not.

Stealing a wallet that was set on top of a motorcycle would not require entry and would not be a burglary. Stealing a wallet out of a saddlebag or another container attached to the motorcycle, I'd argue that that is a burglary.
June 26, 2018, 16:49
DerekE
I vote "No" to BMV. Did the guy have his credit cards or DL in his wallet? How about Credit/Debit Card Abuse or Fraudulent Use or Possession of Identifying Information?