TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    "Crime takes heavy toll on legal minds"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Crime takes heavy toll on legal minds" Login/Join 
Administrator
posted
This is the title of an article from Australia that has been posted under Issues in Prosecution and can be read in full here:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23292980-23289,00.html

Here is another excerpt:

--------------------------
In the new study, researcher and senior clinical and forensic psychologist Lil Vrklevski -- herself a lawyer -- compared the mental health and wellbeing of 50 solicitors who work with traumatised clients, namely criminal defence lawyers and prosecutors, with that of 50 solicitors (conveyancers and academics) who work with non-traumatised clients.

The study found that criminal lawyers are nearly twice as likely to seek professional assistance to cope with work related distress: 36 per cent of the sample of criminal lawyers sought professional help for that reason, compared with just 20 per cent of the sample of other solicitors.

Likewise, criminal law solicitors are much more prone to developing depression, stress and vicarious trauma, where professionals who are indirectly exposed to trauma begin to take on some of the same symptoms as the person who actually experienced it, such as increased depression or anxiety.

They are also significantly more likely to turn to alcohol.
--------------------------

My question is this: what, if anything, does YOUR office do to address work-related pressures like those mentioned in the article?

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
During dove season, we sometimes go hunt doves. Off season, we sometimes go have a cold one.

Most of the time, however, we just laugh and joke with each other.

I have worked in 4 D.A.'s Offices in Tex., one in N. Mex. and was in the Public Prosecutors' Service in Zimbabwe, and I never noticed all this stress, etc. Seems to me that prosecutors are the jolliest of attorneys. As my first boss in Texas used to say, "What's the point of being a prosecutor if you're not having fun?"

Posts: 686 | Location: Beeville, Texas, U.S.A. | Registered: March 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I play basketball. A lot. It's a great release. And, for a change of pace, we call our own fouls.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I work out (just finished my first half-marathon) a couple of weeks ago and plan to do another in April) and I encourage the folks on my staff to try to find some activity to stay healthy and relieve stress.

I also try to be really flexible on my staff members' time off, vacations, etc.. Sending them away for fun and interesting training programs gives them time to relax too.

I try to make sure the trial load stays balanced out so that no single prosecutor is having to do the lion's share of the work for an extended period of time.

I think it also helps to meet periodically with the staff to find out how everyone is doing, what the problems and concerns of folks are, etc.

It also helps to encourage people not to brood over bad outcomes--in other words, to lighten up.

On the whole, however, I feel that although we often are exposed to the most emotional and unsavory aspects of our society, it just helps to keep in mind that the work we do is very important and helps our community and its citizens in a very good and positive way. That thought, in and of itself, is a great comfort when things start to get a little hectic. I've been doing this for 12 years now. I still enjoy getting up in the morning to come to work--even on Monday!

Posts: 293 | Registered: April 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Air Bradley. Who would have thought!

Posts: 170 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: May 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
More like The Hacker. I measure air in inches.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post