TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    DA kicks reporter out of ct. room to protect the "dignity" of criminal.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DA kicks reporter out of ct. room to protect the "dignity" of criminal. Login/Join 
posted
Should a DPS trooper who uses his position to get sexual favors from females he stops, be given 6 mos. misd. probation and a $100 fine, so he can get "counseling"? And should the DA tell a newspaper reporter to leave the courtroom during the plea in order to protect the trooper's privacy and dignity?

What do you think?

Here's the story:

www.thevictoriaadvocate.com/front/story/1157038p-1378623c.html

Posts: 686 | Location: Beeville, Texas, U.S.A. | Registered: March 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hesitate to comment directly on this because every case is different. Our Kleberg office had a similar case some years back, and the officer was put on felony probation for some years, but that case also included some tampering with evidence related to the incidents and I believe the plea was to that charge.

Posts: 13 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't see how a prosecutor can kick anybody out of a courtroom for a public matter.

Posts: 124 | Location: West Texas | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe I should be rethinking what I've been taught. My understanding was that it was the judge who had charge and control of the courtroom, including the ability to kick someone out of the courtroom or close the proceedings to the public. If this means I can kick people out of the courtroom to preserve "dignity," my job as a trial lawyer will become much, much easier. Boy, the things they don't teach you in law school!

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't see how a Trooper can offer someone a "reduction in their probation sentence".

Posts: 160 | Location: Foat Wuth | Registered: June 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me like the DA is trying to protect himself. A simple rule of thumb that I use is "If I'm afraid to have my decision on the front page of the paper, then it is probably the wrong decision." We need to remember who we work for.

Posts: 11 | Location: Sulphur Springs, TX, USA | Registered: March 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it's strange that the trooper didin't have an attorney. I've never had a case involving a cop where the cop chose to go pro se.

Posts: 515 | Location: austin, tx, usa | Registered: July 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post