TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    AG Opinion GA-0716
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AG Opinion GA-0716 Login/Join 
posted
I read the GA-0716 opinion over the weekend and was not expecting that answer. The opinion states that Asst. D.A. and Asst. C.A. are not prohibited from practicing as criminal defense attorneys in federal court or in state courts of a neighboring county. How common is it for asst. prosecutors to practice criminal defense? I'd like to hear from anyone who either is/has played both sides of the field while being an Asst. prosecutor and from anyone else who wants to share some thoughts. I've been an Asst. D.A. for a little over 12 years and would not want to give up the white hat, but I wouldn't mind sitting on the other side a few time a year for the experience. Now, how would I sleep at night? That I don't know.

Posts: 8 | Location: Kingsville, Texas, USA | Registered: May 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Greg. I would still like to read some comments from prosecutors who are actually doing this.

Posts: 8 | Location: Kingsville, Texas, USA | Registered: May 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have seen defense attorneys do both, for example when a special prosecutor is needed, I have seen defense attorneys take the appointments, and I believe they thought it made them better attorneys for having seen both sides.

It seems different for prosecutors though, in that we get a salary to work for the State all day every day, and it seems like if you started a small practice on the side, it would inherently dip in to the salaried work day--phone calls, last minute items, research, etc. It would be tempting to fax something from the office, or look something up on county paid westlaw--those are the places where it looks problematic to me.

Posts: 526 | Location: Del Rio, Texas | Registered: April 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post