TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    hybrid offenses enhanceable?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

hybrid offenses enhanceable? Login/Join 
posted
I have a defendant with a prior burglary of a habitation (and some misdemeanors). He has committed the Transportation Code offense of leaving the scene of an accident. There is a separate punishment range of up to 5 years and up to a $5000 fine. Is that enhanceable with the prior 2df burglary? What would it enhance to?

Posts: 526 | Location: Del Rio, Texas | Registered: April 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From reading PC Sec. 12.41 it appears it would be treated as a third degree felony. It also appears that PC Sec. 12.42(a)(3) would permit an enhancement to a second degree felony since it does not specify only third degree offenses charged under the PC.

Posts: 1089 | Location: UNT Dallas | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you are right. Thanks very much for pointing me in the right direction.

Posts: 526 | Location: Del Rio, Texas | Registered: April 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post