TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Warrantless Entry to home
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Warrantless Entry to home Login/Join 
posted
Is there any CCA case law that permits law enforcement warrantless exigent entry to a residence following 'hot pursuit'? The hot pursuit does stem from a beer run theft and motor vehicle evading.

I have found SCOTUS case law however am looking for Texas CCA.

Posts: 11 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: May 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One place to start: Yeager v. State, 104 S.W.3d 103, Tex.Crim.App.,2003.

In Yeager the "hot pursuit" issue is an arrest outside the officer's jurisdiction but both the opinion and the dissenting opinion mention warrantless entry and cite federal caselaw.

So what I'm saying is, this CCA case from 2003 doesn't answer your question but it does show that the CCA is aware and follows the federal case law and it may also be a handy place to start for additional research of the cases cited in the opinion.

Posts: 689 | Registered: March 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's a US Supreme Court case:

The District Court was correct in concluding that “hot pursuit” means some sort of a chase, but it need not be an extended hue and cry “in and about (the) public streets.” The fact that the pursuit here ended almost as soon as it began did not render it any the less a “hot pursuit” sufficient to justify the warrantless entry into Santana's house.
We thus conclude that a suspect may not defeat an arrest which has been set in motion in a public place, and is therefore proper under Watson, by the expedient of escaping to a private place.

United States v. Santana, 427 U.S. 38, 42-43, 96 S.Ct. 2406, 2410, 49 L.Ed.2d 300 (1976).

Posts: 527 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas, | Registered: May 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That Santana decision was discussed in Yeager.

Posts: 689 | Registered: March 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are not from the CCA, but Houston-1st District has discussed entering a home following a hot pursuit of a suspect evading in a motor vehicle. Both were DWI cases. The first is Winter v. State, 902 S.W.2d 571, and the second is Vermillion v. State, 1997 Tex. App. LEXIS 6331, in which the court followed its reasoning in Winters.

Janette A

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Texas case law allows entry into a home if you have a felony warrant and a reasonable belief the subject is inside. Since exigent circumstances typically negate the need for a warrant, this might be analagous on felony pursuits. Just a thought from someone too lazy to dig into the books. Roll Eyes

Posts: 137 | Location: Corsicana, TX | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnW:
Texas case law allows entry into a home if you have a felony warrant and a reasonable belief the subject is inside. Since exigent circumstances typically negate the need for a warrant, this might be analagous on felony pursuits. Just a thought from someone too lazy to dig into the books. Roll Eyes

Yes I was just looking into actual case citations where this is allowed specifically opinions from Texas CCA or regional COAs. I appreciate everyone's help and input to my question. Thank You.

Posts: 11 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: May 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post