TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Urgent: Necessity Defense and Poss'n of Marijuana
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Urgent: Necessity Defense and Poss'n of Marijuana Login/Join 
posted
We have a jury trial going on in which the defense is arguing necessity for a possession of marijuana charge. The defendant was found w/ marijuana (3 grams) on him and the defense is arguing due to the defendant's health condition, he had to have the marijuana to control his vomitting. Has anyone ever dealt w/ this or heard anything about this? Haven't had much luck finding case law on this particular issue (go figure) outside of Stefanoff v. State 78 S.W.3d 496.

Posts: 12 | Location: Amarillo | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The government has already decided, as a matter of law, that the drug is not available for such a purpose. No defense permitted.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Besides arguing that marijuana / medicinal marijuana is illegal in general, any suggestions on how to argue that necessity doesn't apply to someone who claims that he had severe vomitting and was about to die if he had not smoked the marijuana.

Posts: 12 | Location: Amarillo | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why didnt he get Nabilone or Marinol from his doctor?

They are synthetic marijuana approved by the FDA for just this sort of illness.

Here are some helpful links from the Food and Drug Administration:

http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/safety/2006/Jun_PIs/Marinol_PI.pdf

http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/SAFETY/2006/May_PIs/Cesamet_PI.pdf

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/ANSWERS/ANS00457.html

Posts: 689 | Registered: March 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Regarding the synthetic marijuana drugs...his argument was that he wasn't able to get them prescribed to him and the marijuana has a quicker effect vs. any pills

posted Hide Post
Well cocaine will cure your toothache faster and better than anything you can buy at the supermarket.

Just because he says dope is "better" doesn't mean he shouldnt have got the real medicine from the doctor. No doctor is going to just let him die from vomit... why not seek a better doctor?

posted Hide Post
Also he was really so sick that he couldnt keep from vomiting the pills then he could just as well smoke them in a pipe or bong.

posted Hide Post
That is just so ridiculous! Did he bring ANY medical records of this condition? Any doctors? or just his stoner buddies? If he was that bad off, they have a special place called an EMERGENCY ROOM. And 3 grams is not going to help all that much...ofcourse he's admitting to having more weed, just smoking it all before the police got to him.

Was this weed found in a traffic stop? If he's vomiting so much, why is he driving? I bet you a dollar it's a traffic stop!

Posts: 293 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: January 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you do a federal/state Lexis search under "marihuana necessity defense" you will find cases from California (yes, California) to Iowa that show there is no necessity defense for marihuana when the legislature has already decided that marihuana is to be illegal with no exceptions. Also tell the Judge this is outrageous!

Posts: 293 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: January 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What if the 'necessity' is to get high? And he's got an 'urgent' need to do it? Yeah, that's the ticket!!

Posts: 234 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's the final outcome...The Judge allowed a necessity charge in the jury instructions and the jury walked the defendant.

posted Hide Post
WOW you have to be kidding....

Posts: 7 | Location: Spearman, Texas, USA | Registered: March 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel like I'm going to vomit. Wink

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let's see - Stacey wants to protect 93 year men from "sex for sale"; and David feels nauseous because a man who uses marij as a medical treatment to keep from vomitting. Maybe the two cases could be combined: 93 year old man needs sex to keep himself from vomiting (all of the old age medicine) and because only prostitutes will give it up to a 93 year old man, he has to go to them. I wish you two guys were back in the office so we could discuss this further. FRED

Posts: 62 | Location: Richmond, Texas, USA | Registered: May 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
J,

Call me I want to hear this story.

Posts: 764 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who was on the jury? Cheech and/or Chong? Unbelievable! Let's hear the story, please~~

Posts: 234 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't feel too bad...I just got off the phone with a Trooper who testified in a DWI trial with a visiting judge who instructed the jury--over the prosecutor's strenuous objections--that the Trooper had to have witnessed the defendant committing an offense before he could conduct his investigation. The defendant drove up to his location as he was investigating her friend for DWI. When he spoke to the defendant, she was exuding a very strong odor of alcohol, had slurred speech, the whole works. So he proceeded to also investigate her. She did so badly on FSTs (on video) that she was walking in circles on the walk and turn. SHe also blew well over .08 on the breath test. BUT, the jury acquitted her because "the judge told us that you had to see her commit a criminal offense before you could investigate her and you testified that she didn't commit a traffic offense when she pulled up and parked." (paraphrased). The Trooper and the prosecutor are still trying to recover!

Janette A

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I've practiced in front of that judge before... FWIW, I had the pleasure of filing a state's appeal against a judge like that and won on a pretrial supression. Score one for the good guys.

Posts: 374 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Trooper told me he is pretty sure the judge nodded off at points during the trial, and is somewhat deaf. Apparently the judge is retired and was filling in for another judge at the last minute. Unfortunately in this case, there is no chance by appeal. The Trooper was philosophical--he's a veteran and has testified in a lot of trials and seen just about everything. It takes a lot to surprise him.

Janette A

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 62 | Location: Dumas, Texas | Registered: November 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post