TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Helping the Clerk's Office
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Helping the Clerk's Office Login/Join 
posted
I want to start making defendant's pay court costs as a condition of dismissal. I want to make them do that only in instances where one case is being dismissed in exchange for their plea in another case.

Does anyone know if there is any legal impediment to my clerk's doing this? And does anybody know of a statute that I could point to that would ease the concern our elected county clerk has with the issue?

Posts: 63 | Location: Henderson, Texas, United States | Registered: December 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it would be improper to require the payment of court costs when a case is dismissed without specific statutory authorization. I think your clerk is right. CCP Chapter 43 does not authorize such a charge and requires a "sentence" or a "conviction" for payment of a fine or costs.

Posts: 1029 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This question, or something like it, arises frequently. Can we collect money for what we think is a good cause?

The Legislature (and the courts through case law) say no. There must be express statutory authority to collect money.

There is a more detailed discussion and supporting citations in The Perfect Plea.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Can't do it.

Don't do it.

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post