TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Jail time credit
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jail time credit Login/Join 
posted
We have been giving $50/day credit on fines / costs in our jail. The judges would like to raise it. What are other counties doing? At $50, it costs us more than they are "earning"!

Lisa L. Peterson
Nolan County Attorney

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Article 43.09 of the Code of Criminal Procedure seems to limit the amount of credit for time served to $50/day. However, the court can allow a defendant to get credit for fines at the same time he's serving his punishment or give credit for participating in a work, rehabilitation, restitution, or education program, or for performing community service.

At least, that's how I read it.

Posts: 90 | Location: Lockhart TX | Registered: January 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I have heard of other counties doing $100 / day for non-work crew inmates. Guess part two of the question is can time and money run concurrently? My Sheriff says no....

Lisa L. Peterson
Nolan County Attorney

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Double-check art. 43.09(b)--it says, "Additionally, the court may order that the defendant receive credit under this article for each day's confinement served by the defendant as publishment for the offense."

Posts: 90 | Location: Lockhart TX | Registered: January 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post