TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Dog Fighting/Cruelty
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dog Fighting/Cruelty Login/Join 
posted
Need a little clarification. PC 42.10(a)(1) calls dog fighting a class a misdemeanor. PC 42.09(a)(6) calls one animal fighting another as a state jail. Since a dog is an animal, I believe I can charge dog fighting as a felony. Is this correct?

Posts: 96 | Registered: May 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but when an act falls under 2 statutes, and one statute is more specific than the other, you must charge under the specific statute.

Posts: 1089 | Location: UNT Dallas | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you referring to the doctrine of "in pari materia"?

Posts: 53 | Location: Arlington TX USA | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I forgot Latin after high school. Razz All kidding aside, yes, I believe that's the term.

Posts: 1089 | Location: UNT Dallas | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Appears prosecutors in Dallas did something similar in CAREY DEUNDRA MCMILLIAN, Appellant v. THE STATE OF TEXAS, Appellee, 2005 Tex. App. LEXIS 9203. They appeared to charge torture or killing/serious injury. They also charged dogfighting. Did dogfighting use to be a felony?

Posts: 96 | Registered: May 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I think some dog fighting offenses under that section are state jail felonies, while others are misdemeanors.

Posts: 2424 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On a related note, CCP Art. 18.18, which authorizes the confiscation and forfeiture of dog-fighting equipment, seems to be worded broadly enough to apply in either case.

Posts: 245 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: July 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post