TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Drug case with no drugs!!!!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drug case with no drugs!!!!! Login/Join 
posted
Has anyone prosecuted a drug case without the drugs? I have an admission from the defendant, co-defendant statements implicating defendant, as well as other things that show defendant was actively selling drugs; but, no drugs. This all resulted from a federal investigation, but this defendant cannot be prosecuted federally. Any suggestions?????

Posts: 14 | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My guess is it depends on your facts and what other evidence you have, BUT I would tend to think that it might be better to use that information to get search warrants than to try to go forward prosecuting without the drugs. How are you going to prove what exactly he possessed and/or was selling?

Posts: 1089 | Location: UNT Dallas | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does the admission include a conclusion that the substance was exactly what it proported to be?

If we're talking Ecstasy, those pills are like a dog pound mutt with all sorts of substances blended up. How will you know if it's MDMA, Meth anything else...

If it's a white powder that is a stimulant, how do you prove it's cocaine or just really high quality Meth, or even worse, old school Amphetamine?

Posts: 764 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why can they not prosecute it federally? I say let the feds clean up their own mess. (I was once a SAUSA who prosecuted drug cases.)

Posts: 22 | Location: Brenham, TX | Registered: October 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Adderall XR, the most prescribed brand of ADHD medication, is indicated for the treatment of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in children aged 6 to 12 years, adolescents aged 13 to 17 years, and in adults

The active ingredient in ADDERALL XR has been used medically for nearly 70 years

ADDERALL XR
  • May significantly reduce symptoms of ADHD within one week
  • Works quickly and offers all-day control of ADHD symptoms
  • In a study, 83% of parents preferred ADDERALL XR to the medication their child was taking before
  • Has been evaluated for safety in over 20 clinical studies (including pediatric, adolescent, or adult)

In clinical studies, children treated with ADDERALL XR showed significant and sustained improvement in academic productivity and behavior. Since 1996, 50 million prescriptions have been written for ADDERALL and ADDERALL XR

Posts: 689 | Registered: March 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Case involves kilograms of drugs. The reason the feds will not prosecute is because the defendant is a juvenile.

Posts: 14 | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you have any lab reports? Can you recreate the chain of custody from the labs file? Or are there no drugs as in no drugs were ever siezed?

Posts: 37 | Registered: February 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What happened to the kilograms of Coke? Surely the feds didn't let them move up the chain? I don't think you can prosecute without the drugs becasue you need the id and weigth to meet the elements.

Posts: 334 | Location: Beeville, Texas., USA | Registered: September 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Conspiracy! You will lose one degree in offense level; With a Juvenile, does it really matter? Prior to the enactment of Possession of Chemicals with intent to Manufacture 481.124, we sucessfully prosecuted a 2nd degree conspiracy based on the purchase of Pseudoephedrine, a Co-Conspirator's testimony and another co-conspirator's recorded statement to her father. The Austin Court affirmed, not published, Winfree v State

[This message was edited by John Greenwood on 03-03-08 at .]

[This message was edited by John Greenwood on 03-03-08 at .]

Posts: 261 | Location: Lampasas, Texas, USA | Registered: November 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems to me there are federal laws designed to deal w/ juveniles, it would just involve some work.

Posts: 176 | Location: Hempstead, TX, USA | Registered: June 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post