TDCAA Community
Vehicle Search Warrant

This topic can be found at:
https://tdcaa.infopop.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/157098965/m/1777026606

May 29, 2012, 12:10
CHolland
Vehicle Search Warrant
I remember at the Intox Manslaughter seminar we discussed seizing the vehicles involved in an intox manslaughter case. However, there was no discussion about how to go about doing that, and I assume we need a search warrant. I now have my first Intox Manslaughter case, and we need some help. Does anyone have a form I could use? All the forms in the search warrant manual seem to allow you to enter the car to get evidence, but I thought we were actually trying to keep the car - and I'm not sure what all I need to put in the warrant. Can someone please help??
May 29, 2012, 13:55
Mack T. Harrison
You can seize the vehicle as contraband under chapter 59 of the Code of Criminal Procedure.
May 29, 2012, 14:50
Clay A.
If the vehicle was seized by the police at the crash and held in impound, I think you are ok to proceed. Anyone else correct me if you think I am incorrect. But if the vehicle was released you might need a search warrant to recover it. Check your e-mail for a general solicitation for help.
May 30, 2012, 09:40
e sainz
TDCAA has a book -- Guide to Asset Seizure & Forfeiture that is most useful for its forms. I would start by reading through ch 59 in the CCP. I have some forms I could email you, but the email on your profile is missing the last part -- is it .com, .us, .gov, etc? You can email me and I'll send you what I have.
May 30, 2012, 15:29
Robert S. DuBoise
Sent you an email with an example of Affidavit, Warrant and Return for a contraband seizure warrant. Let me know if you don't receive.