TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Speaking with an unrepresented felony defendant
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Speaking with an unrepresented felony defendant Login/Join 
posted
I'm in the middle of a felony jury trial where the defense attorney is criticizing me for not speaking with his client when his client previously tried to contact me about the case while he was not represented by counsel.

I have always believed that I was not allowed (by ethical rules) to speak with an unrepresented felony defendant or a defendant that was represented by counsel without his counsel being aware of the defendant speaking with me.

Anyone know the specific rule???

Thanks!

John

Posts: 115 | Location: Andrews, Texas | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rules 3.09(b)and 4.03 of the Texas Disciplinary Rules of Professional Conduct might be what you are looking for.

JAS

Posts: 586 | Location: Denton,TX | Registered: January 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
3.09 (b) & (c) is what I was thinking about. Thank you!

Posts: 115 | Location: Andrews, Texas | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The right thing and the best thing to tell felony defendants is to hire a lawyer or ask the court to appoint them one.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post