TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Bifurcated question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bifurcated question Login/Join 
posted
Jury convicts on Manslaughter.

Hangs on punishment.

What happens?

Do you retry punishment only with a new jury?

Posts: 764 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
New trial on everything. Sorry.

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, Shannon, here is another legal fix we could pursue (as we have done before without success). Trial court can't order retrial on punishment only (even after motion for new trial) but an appellate court can. This is only because of the wording of the CCP.

Every time we have tried to change it, the deeefense types in the Capitol say no. No good reason other than giving up an unfair advantage taken by the defendant.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can you point me at the authority for that? 36.31 simply is ambiguous. Which I'm sure is the problem John B. is referring to. I tried boolean searches for bifurcated, hung jury, punishment, retrial, and conviction, but I end up with cases on hung juries during the first phase.

I really appreciate it.

Posts: 764 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try Tex. Code Crim. Proc. art. 37.07, sec.3 (c).

Posts: 5 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I'm with you, JB. Ed Klein in Nacogdoches got his state senator to file such a bill last session, but it never got out of the blocks.

SB 432 (78th R.S.)

Since Ed has moved on to a local bench, maybe someone new is willing to take up the standard and press forward with the charge ...

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is really a statute that makes no sense. Every prosecutor has a story about a jury that stayed out a long time on punishment, which caused great pain and anguish over the prospect of retrying the entire case. However, as we all know the legislature responds to horror stories generated by bad results. Has anyone had to retry a case from scratch due to a hung jury on punishment? My experience has been that juries will eventually reach a result when they appear to be haggling over punishment; sometimes not the one we wanted but, nevertheless, a result. Can we point to an injustice done in some case, or are we left with generally "taint fair"?

Posts: 283 | Location: Montague, Texas, USA | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post