TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Bills in front of the Governor........(food for thought or action)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bills in front of the Governor........(food for thought or action) Login/Join 
posted
Here are a few bills that are just a signature away from becoming law that will affect most of us greatly:
SB 1195 - Limits consent searches by police officers
HB 1896 - Gives parolees who are subsequently revoked "good time" credit while on parole
HB 2193 - Substantially changes felony probation. It would limit probation to a maximum of 5 years for third degree felonies that are not 3g offenses
HB 3152 - prohibits prosecutors from speaking to arrestees who do not have attorneys.
HB 832 - Provides the presumption of a traveling defense for anyone in/on a privately owned vehicle who is not committing any crimes other than a class C offense, is not a felon or a member of a street gang

Posts: 276 | Location: Liberty County, Texas | Registered: July 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could you provide a little more detail on that last one, the presumed traveling defense? What exactly does in apply to?

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Umm, does that apply to misdemeanor defendants? How will a prosecutor ever plea a pro se defendant if you can't talk to them?

Posts: 764 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phillip, that is a great question. I wonder if any one in the legislature thought about that. I hope someone in the governor's office does!

Posts: 170 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: May 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 276 | Location: Liberty County, Texas | Registered: July 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Folks, you must READ THE BILLS. There is no substitute, no shortcut, no Cliffs Notes -- READ THEM. (Ex: HB 3152 applies to defendants, not arrestees -- but it is intended to prevent you from talking to pro se defendants in various circumstances). They are all available through our Legislative page accessible by the button at the top of this page, as they have been throughout the session.

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did. I clicked on Legislative before I posted. I saw the summary, but it wasn't readily apparent how to get to the actual text of the bill. I see now. Thank you, but HB 3152 is not on the page.

Posts: 764 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Check under the CCP button, or the link to the Capitol website.

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shannon is right - read the bills, but when you read HB 823 (please do not sign this, Governor) think about you, your girlfriend, your daughter, your sister, etc., and the angry ex-boyfriend who is sitting outside her home one night with a loaded handgun (and no CHL, because with this bill who needs one). He does not even have to be legally parked. Police can arrest him, but when the case gets dismissed because of this exception, I am sure he will forget all about how he felt before the arrest - and I hope you had time to get a protective order so the police can legitimately arrest the next time.

Posts: 70 | Location: Lockhart, Texas | Registered: October 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post