TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    By What Authority?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

By What Authority? Login/Join 
posted
As you can read from the link on the opening page of the TDCAA website, the Attorney General has announced opening an investigation into the Tulia prosecutions.

Does anyone have any idea by what authority the AG has initiated such an investigation? The last time I checked (which was during the 77th Legislative session), the AG's authority to investigate and prosecute criminal matters is entirely dependent on the invitation of an elected District Attorney.

Do you think the AG has (once again) exceeded his authority? Isn't this all getting a little dangerous?

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This one has to be seen as political. Allegations of a racially motivated drug investigation, allegations against the officer investigating, and allegations that the feds have dropped the ball.

But don't worry, I will fight for your rights, even if the feds won't.

It does seem to border on overreaching by the AG.

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gee. Must be an election year.

Posts: 374 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From reading the blurb on our website, it appears that the only evidence of racial discrimination was that most of the people arrested (and now convicted) were black.

I pride myself on being politically correct at all times, but was unaware that police must now abide by a racial quota when investigating drugs and making arrests. I'm glad we have an AG who is so on the ball.

Posts: 686 | Location: Beeville, Texas, U.S.A. | Registered: March 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you suggesting the AG is misusing the funds appropriated to his office or abusing his official capacity in probing?

Posts: 2386 | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interestingly, the assistant AG's first response to the Judicial Affairs Committee that asked for the investigation is that they don't go in where the DA doesn't ask, and the DOJ is doing an investigation anyhow.

We all know, however, that a grand jury can investigate as they please, and the AG is listed as an attorney who can appear before a grand jury, so if you add those together you get an AG investigation. Of the local DA and law enforcement, I guess.

The interesting part is that the AG is currently handling at least one writ that came out of these cases, and the Government Code requires that the AG represent a DA if they ask if the DA is sued by a prisoner in federal court. So conflicts abound!

Posts: 273 | Registered: January 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Even worse, this guy wants us to vote for him for US Senator?

Posts: 244 | Registered: November 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post