TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Failure to register as a sex offender confusion
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Failure to register as a sex offender confusion Login/Join 
posted
Judge put the defendant on the docket thursday, defendant demanded a trial friday so we are picking the jury tuesday. The defendant was convicted of sexual battery in mississippi; the sexual penetration of a child under the age of 14. Looks alot like aggervated sexual assualt here in Texas. Was reading through the TDCAA handbook on sex offender registration and had a few questions. DPS determines if the out of state conviction is substantially similar? I have been unable to find this list/contact information to see if mississippi sexual battery has all ready been "ruled" upon. (also everyone is on vacation). If it has been ruled on how do I introduce this fact into trial? I was just going to have the judge take judicial notice that per the mississippi statute and indictment that the crime was substantially similar to reportable convictions here in Texas. (reportable for life). Looks like I am skipping some important steps. Picking the jury tuesday, trying it the next monday. Any help would be appriciated.

Posts: 37 | Registered: February 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chris,

Jeff Carothers is the staff attorney for the SOR Unit at DPS. He can be reached at 512-424-5835.

Posts: 18 | Location: Leander, Tx, USA | Registered: July 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the contact infromation

Posts: 37 | Registered: February 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post