TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Best Lunch for a Prosecutor
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Lunch for a Prosecutor Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Many years ago, while I was at Tech, there were rumors of similar mischief in the kitchens of the dorms and the University Center. Thank God there was Spanky's.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Spillane:
I wish I had read this before going through Georgetown; the Monument Cafe sounds great-we stopped at McDonalds. Frown Alas, in our college town, College Station, the kids flock to chains. Most local efforts seem to fail but La Bodega and Cafe Eccel across the street provide nice lunch fare.

Are you kidding? Gotta eat at Lanes for chickenstrips or Freebirds for burritos. Both are mandatory stop offs in College Station.

Posts: 764 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, A.P., I reckon any chef would quit if the powers that be said, "don't put any salt in the food; and oh yeah, don't put any bacon or hocks in the green beans or turnip greens."

What kind of self-respecting cook could live with those restrictions?

Posts: 686 | Location: Beeville, Texas, U.S.A. | Registered: March 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Come on, tell us the truth, or at least some good stories, about TDCJ cafe's...I have only eaten at the Central unit here in Fort Bend when assigned to take the grand jury there for their last supper at the end of their term.

It has been many moons since Breen has worked here in Fort Bend. He left before I began, some 14 and a half years ago.

I still recall the case of our Sheriff, and former Texas Ranger, who had some type of rat poison put in his iced tea back during the "Breen" era in Fort Bend County.

Posts: 28 | Location: Richmond, Texas | Registered: June 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay Greg, by overwhelming demand from the general public in the person of you alone, I'll relay just one "anecdote" as I've recently been accused of doing by a member of the other side of the bar:

I have a very vivid mental picture of the kitchen caper where the victim was whacked with a large, steel stirring paddle (could have used it in a canoe, but for the holes in the flat part). Forget chain of custody, since the deadly paddle, along with its evidentiary residue was dutifully replaced in the taters so the rest of the chow hall crew who weren't busy killing people could finish feeding the officers.

Posts: 751 | Location: Huntsville, Tx | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It seems like restaurant workers and drugs go hand in hand. I didn't think about who was serving my food when I first started this job. Now I try to stear clear of places that I know about.
In Uvalde, if you like Mexican food, I recommend Vasquez Restaurant. Always clean, not too greasy, consistent and the best cheese enchiladas you have ever had.
All this talk about College Station has my mouth watering for a Freddy Burger w/cheese from the Dixie Chicken. However, it is almost impossible to eat that without ordering a cold one(or two) with it. Aah, the good old days. I also liked the Longhorn in Bryan for a good chicken fried steak.

Posts: 106 | Location: Uvalde, Texas | Registered: May 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I forgot that here in Cooper, Delta County (90 miles NE of Dallas), we also have a Subway/gas station/quick stop.

I've always wondered (but not worried) about restaurant food since that May '85 issue of TBJ, Judge Buchmeyer's column, p. 626:

"Q. What happened to your job at the Forum?
A. At the Forum Cafeteria? I got mad and quit.
Q. What did you get mad about?
A. A fry cook spit in a pan of grease to see if
it was hot enough to fry fish.
Q. Was it your pan of grease?
A. No, sir, it wasn't my pan of grease, but it was my fellow man that ate in the cafeteria."

Posts: 244 | Registered: November 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A de-luxe steak dinner paid for by his or her boss in appreciation for a job well done.

Thanks AP, I know you got some more stories in there. Tell enough of them and maybe Terry will stop remembering the "good old days" about prison food. Personally, I never thought the food was that good in the prisons. Finally, lunch for only a dollar? You get what you pay for.

Posts: 28 | Location: Richmond, Texas | Registered: June 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, A.P., tell us what was going on in that kitchen?

Posts: 515 | Location: austin, tx, usa | Registered: July 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well Jane, it wasn't pretty, at least not to me, and I worked in a funeral home when I was in high school.

But, you're not going to make me crack and spill my guts, (speaking of fixing supper for unsuspecting guards and grand jurors) -- I ain't talking.

Posts: 751 | Location: Huntsville, Tx | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ed, watch out for fast food joints. We had guys dealing cocaine from the Jack-in-the Box drive- thru window. Gives new meaning to the phrase, "Would you like a coke with those fries?"

Posts: 73 | Location: Richmond, TX | Registered: January 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would have to agree with John B. that for the county seat of Williamson County - Georgetown - the Monument Cafe is the tops. The desserts are out of this world, so be sure to save room for them.

I had the pleasure of spending my formative prosecutorial years in Livingston, Polk County. As I am sure the folks from there will agree, Florida's Kitchen is an excellent choice. Good old fashioned greasy (and I mean that in a good way) hamburgers, good ribs, deep, deep (did I say deep?) fried onion rings. Mmmmm. Nothing low-cal or low-carb, but thats just fine with me. My wife and I still miss Forida's Kitchen. Too bad its about 3 hours away from us now.

Posts: 35 | Location: Williamson County, Texas | Registered: April 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In Hood County, there is a little hamburger shack that flame-broils the best burgers in the area. They have a great family, back woods atmosphere. Besides, the place is owned by local brothers so its good to keep the money here in our small community.

Posts: 64 | Location: Johnson County, Texas | Registered: May 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're traveling between Houston and Corpus on US 77, Tuttle's Grocery, one block off the town square and under the water tower is a good place to eat lunch. It is a grocery, but they have a serving room in the back, and a great steam table.

They serve the same kind of food the TDC used to serve before the dieticians took over "menu development" (as they say in the high-class resturant trade): pork chops, chicken fried steak, King Ranch cassarole, sausage, beef tips, as well as well cooked green beans, greens, squash,--the whole ball of wax. Great desserts too. They even have a salad bar, for those of you from California. It's all you can eat for about $7.00. The price is not as good as TDC, but the help is a lot more reliable.

Another good thing: I'm told it is all low-cal.

Posts: 686 | Location: Beeville, Texas, U.S.A. | Registered: March 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Town square has a little place where you'll find most of the county officials stopping in for breakfast or lunch most days.

At the Fried Pie, you'll find standard americana, but everyone goes for the pies. Coconut, Apricot, Peach, Chocolate, Apple, etc. Think: world's greatest turnover pies.

Posts: 764 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In Fort Worth: Angelo's or Railhead for BBQ, no doubt. Hamburgers: Charley's or Kincaide's Grocery; Fred's on Currie if you are feeling funky. Blue Plates: Teresa's Dixie House cafe. Soul food: Carter's on E. Lancaster. Catfish: got to be Hatch's. Fish tacos? Fuzzy's on Berry St. For Pizza you go to Mama's and for fish, hushpuppies and everything fried it's Zeke's on Camp Bowie.

[This message was edited by BLeonard on 08-27-04 at .]

Posts: 723 | Location: Fort Worth, TX, USA | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In Caldwell County (Lockhart)you have a hard choice form the best Bar-B-Q anywhere. Kreuz's, Smitty's, Chisholm Trail or Black's. It's all good. My preference - Smitty's.

Posts: 31 | Location: Lockhart, Texas | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my long ago days as a traveling ALR attorney, I used to go Ballinger occasionally (Runnels County). They had a great old greasy spoon restaurant (don't even remember the name) katy-corner from the courthouse. Super greasy burgers and great fries. Plus it the added attraction of being haunted!

Also in Georgetown, if your boss springs for a nice dinner, try Monica's 701 on the courthouse square in Georgetown. It is a sister to the Main Street Grill in Round Rock, but with a different menu. Really good food!

Janette Ansolabehere

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ballinger, Texas Grill?

Posts: 568 | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Philip D Ray:
Are you kidding? Gotta eat at Lanes for chickenstrips or Freebirds for burritos. Both are mandatory stop offs in College Station.

I agree the burritos and fast service is great at Freebirds; for chicken (wings and otherwise) I would stick with Wings 'N More (plus you'll probably run into Bill Turner there since that's his favorite restaurant).

Posts: 55 | Location: College Station, TX, USA | Registered: January 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post