TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Scalia goes off again
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scalia goes off again Login/Join 
Administrator
posted
(Some great quotes ...)

Scalia critical of what he calls the "judge-moralist"

Boston Globe
March 15, 2006

BOSTON --U.S. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia railed against the era of the "judge-moralist," saying judges are no better qualified than "Joe Sixpack" to decide moral questions such as abortion and gay marriage.

"Anyone who thinks the country's most prominent lawyers reflect the views of the people needs a reality check," he said during a speech to New England School of Law students and faculty at a Law Day banquet on Wednesday night.

The 70-year-old justice said the public, through elected Legislatures -- not the courts -- should decide watershed questions such as the legality of abortion.

Scalia decried his own court's recent overturning of a state anti-sodomy law, joking that he personally believes "sexual orgies eliminate tension and ought to be encouraged," but said a panel of judges is not inherently qualified to determine the morality of such behavior.

He pointed to the granting of voting rights to women in 1920 through a constitutional amendment as the proper way for a democracy to fundamentally change its laws.

"Judicial hegemony" has replaced the public's right to decide important moral questions, he said. Instead, he said, politics has been injected in large doses to the process of nominating and confirming federal judges.

Noting that the Senate confirmed his high court nomination by a 98-0 vote, Scalia said, "You could not get a judge with my views confirmed to the Court of Appeals today."

He said code words such as "mainstream" and "moderate" are now used to describe liberal judicial nominees.

"What is a moderate interpretation of (the Constitution)? Halfway between what it says and halfway between what you want it to say?" he said.

Scalia, a well known as a strict "constructionist" in his interpretation of the Constitution, opened his remarks by saying, "I brought three speeches, and I decided to give the most provocative one, because this seems to be too happy a crowd."

Margaret Marshall, chief justice of the state Supreme Judicial Court, and author of the controversial decision that legalized gay marriage in Massachusetts, was scheduled to sit at the head table with Scalia, but was absent due to illness.

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whether you approve of his views or like him, Justice Scalia does spice up the practice of law. His sense of humor adds to the entertainment value. I heard him speak at the Bass Hall in Fort Worth-- probably eight years ago. It was enlightening to see and hear a Supreme Court Justice (and the one assigned to the Fifth Circuit) share some views.

The illness of the state supreme court justice at the dinner does lead one to speculate--was it engineered?

Posts: 532 | Location: McKinney, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Boy that Scalia! What a radical! He thinks the voting public should elect representatives, who then get to decide the major issues of the day, instead of leaving such divisive questions to appointed-for-life "moderate" (i.e. liberal) judges.

The next thing you know, he'll probably state that he thinks the US should not be ruled by the Queen of England! What a character.

Posts: 686 | Location: Beeville, Texas, U.S.A. | Registered: March 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Calm down Terry. We know what a bleeding heart liberal you are. Take a couple of tranquilizers, lie down, relax and everything will be better shortly.

Posts: 22 | Location: Liberty, Texas, USA | Registered: March 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually, I don't think of myself as a liberal or a conservative. I think of myself as a moderate--like Scalia.

Posts: 686 | Location: Beeville, Texas, U.S.A. | Registered: March 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Commentary on Scalia's statements, by Jeff Jacoby:

The Link

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post