TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Law student considering becoming an ADA
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Law student considering becoming an ADA Login/Join 
posted
What are the benefits of working as an ADA in Texas (in contrast to working as an AUSA or other DoJ atty)?

Does ADA pay vary based on location? On average, what is the starting pay for Texas ADA's? What does the pay top out at?

Thanks!

Posts: 3 | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If pay is a concern don't think about prosecution in any state office.

Each office has its own personality (I've worked in 6 now and believe me they were all VERY different) so its hard to tell you the pros and cons.

Best advice I got about being a prosecutor while in law school was to intern in an office. It doesn't pay well (usually nothing !) but the experience is invaluable.

Posts: 641 | Location: Longview, Texas | Registered: October 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't say about a spot in DOJ or as an AUSA, but it does vary quite a bit. Over time we have seen a good deal of "professionalization" of prosecution, for lack of a better word. More and more folks are making prosecution a career, assuming you can get through the student loans you may have, which is becoming a huge problem. You can get livable wages, and some counties have a good retirement system which is attractive. But you ain't getting rich....

Posts: 273 | Registered: January 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's what I'm worried about (being able to pay off my loans). I can slum it at 40-50k for a few years but I would eventually need to move towards 6 figures if I'm ever going to pay off $120k in debt.

posted Hide Post
if you include the cents after the decimal in the pay, you'll make a seven figure salary as a prosecutor.

Posts: 145 | Location: Bryan/College Station | Registered: April 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you think 40-50k is slumming it, then you don't need to be a prosecutor. Everyone gets paid less than the elected official. The Elected gets paid the same (comparable?) as a District Judge. District Judges just got their first raise in some time. They were making 107k, now I believe it's up to 127k.

That's your ceiling. Most start between 38->48k. (depending on county and responsibility. Those employers looking for experienced prosecutors may have a slightly higher pay scale.

At the top of the page, in small print, is a hyperlink to 'job bank'. You'll find many examples of employment and salary. Do a little reading and you'll find this job likely isn't suited to you if pay is your primary concern.

Posts: 764 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don�t know about a DOJ position, but you are unlikely to land an AUSA position fresh out of law school. My husband is an AUSA; he was a prosecutor in this office (Hidalgo Co.) for 8 years, was board certified in Criminal Law, and had tried many, MANY felony cases. The local district attorney�s office is the de facto training ground for many US Attorney�s offices.

As for being an ADA, well, you either do it because you love it, or you leave for something that pays better, which, sadly, is just about anything else. The pros: you get to do justice; this is a truly meaningful job. The cons: the money and, sometimes, the system, which I am sure varies from place to place.

The intern suggestion is a very good one. In my day, UT Law had some good criminal law clinics; those would be helpful.

You might also consider a clerkship with the Court of Appeals for the jurisdiction where�d you�d like to practice; the courts do roughly 50% civil, 50% criminal cases, which might give you some idea about which you�d prefer to do. Most clerkships last 1 year, starting in August or September, and last I heard, pay about $43K per year, roughly the same as we�re offering brand new lawyers.

Posts: 23 | Location: Hidalgo County | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pay obviously isn't my primary concern otherwise I wouldn't even consider government work. I'm just trying to establish whether I can earn a livable wage doing what interests me most. 40-50k isn't much if you're paying $1000/month in student loans and another $1000+ for housing.

Maybe I should spend the next year looking for a sugarmama.

posted Hide Post
Just remember that a sugarmama leads to sugarbabies and daycare is $1000 a month too!

Posts: 641 | Location: Longview, Texas | Registered: October 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first job was with Cameron County at $35K a year in 1999. (Not that long ago.) I had to defer my student loans & could never afford to eat out. Sometimes I could just barely afford to eat after I paid the rent & the bills. It was a foot in the door & I took it. I lasted a year, then moved to another county and made $45K. I've made the choice to remain an ADA, but have moved to different counties to make more money. Now, I'm doing a lot better, but still a poor govt. attorney compared to my old UT classmates.

Doing what you love can mean making BIG sacrifices, especially if you don't have a sugar momma or daddy, a supportive spouse, or parents who can help you out. But some of us wouldn't leave this line of work no matter what. I guess that has to mean something.

Posts: 176 | Location: Hempstead, TX, USA | Registered: June 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, That's just great! Here I was liking my job and all, appreciating the consistent pay check (in contrast to my "Gosh, I hope I get a check from the county this week for those court appointed client vouchers I submitted 3 weeks ago because rent is late and Momma needs a new pair of shoes - days of defense work) and here I find out that I'm slumming. Thought I was moving on up...

Posts: 357 | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started out as an ACA, not ADA, in Williamson County 10 years ago, starting pay of under $32K. Thanks to TDCAA and the legislature, not to mention an influx of money in that county, I left the CA's office 6 years later making around $58K, and the starting salary was somewhere around $40-42K.

I now work in a state agency, and in spite of my loans, my kids do have all the right shoes for all the different dances and sports. You can make it if you want it.

Posts: 97 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1986 turned down $72,000 a year to make 28,000 in Lubbock DAs Office. Yes it went up fast from there due to promotion and some raises. But the simple fact is there is not a better job for a lawyer. Ask any former prosecutor for a war story and you get one from their days as a prosecutor. I have gone to many lawyer memorials over the years and all the fun stories come from those under paid days. Prosecutors are the only lawyers that have a duty to truth and justice, not an obligation to a client you wouldn't even like if they were not paying you.

This line of post is the best evidence I can think of that the US Congress needs to get off its bum and a pass loan forgiveness program for new lawyers who want to do the right thing.

I wouldn't hold my breath, but there are some good folks working on it.

Hook um, I can only tell you what worked for me. The money has never been good, but I survived financially and I have never regretted becoming a lawyer or chosing to prosecute. Ask our higher paid brethern if they can say the same and you will find far less with the same answer.

Posts: 293 | Location: Austin, TX, US | Registered: September 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I worked for TDCAA before I left to become a prosecutor, and actually took a pay cut so that I could get into the game. Our current new prosecutors are making about 30% more than I did when I started 11 years ago, but they are still making less than your "slumming it" wage, hookem. It depends on where you work, of course, but I wouldn't count on a few years in the trenches and then a six-figure salary. But then again, you don't have to count on getting bored with your job and hating your career at any point in there either.

I had a buddy in law school who went to work for a large firm for 80K or so right out of law school (which was 13 years ago now). He worked the hours and got the money that you'd expect, but couldn't stand it for more than about 8 years. He's now left the paractice of law altogether and has tried several other careers. I've known prosecutors who left for bigger money, but never because they hated the work.

Posts: 622 | Location: San Marcos | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My starting salary in 1986 as a briefing attorney at the Court of Appeals in El Paso was like $23,800. 'Course that was a one-year gig. Moved to Lubbock in 1987 to make a whopping $24,000. Got up to $36,000 by 1989. After all these years, I make more, but still way less than my fellow law students. Of course, I don't have student loans and never did: tuition was $4.00/hour then and my folks got me through school. I also do not have clients whom I dislike, don't pay malpractice premiums and am convinced that what I do benefits society as a whole. Now, I do get calls at home from cops & other DA's about stuff & have to work nights, weekends & holidays sometimes, but it's cool.

If material wealth is your goal, only be an assistant DA for a few years, get some trial experience, then move on to the big-bucks: sports cars, hot tubs & buxom women. If sleeping soundly is important and you play your cards right as ADA, maybe you can get cross-designated as an AUSA & get your foot in the federal door that way. Federal prosecutors make lots better than state prosecutors, but still less than folks they went to school with.

Posts: 124 | Location: West Texas | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had a lot of different jobs on my life from gas stations to ranch hand to retail management and auto sales. I had my own note lot for three years. I have delivered beer, been a janitor and even rode the back of a trash truck for four weeks. This is the best job I ever had. Most days, I love coming to work. I know that every day, I have the opportunity to do the right thing. In this job, one really can make a difference in the lives of others.

Posts: 723 | Location: Fort Worth, TX, USA | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As an ADA I loved coming to work everyday! I was a prosecutor for 4 years and recently left the Collin County DA's office for the other side. I enjoy what I'm doing now, but miss the camaraderie and the daily excitement of standing up and announcing "the State's ready!" I came out of law school with loans as well, but if you want invaluable trial experience and the opportunity to meet and work with some of the greatest trial lawyers and people for that matter, make the sacrifice and get your foot in the door with a DA's office. You'll feel the hit in your wallet, but later down the road you will realize it is, in my humble opinion, the best job you can have as a lawyer.

[This message was edited by NancyK on 10-05-05 at .]

Posts: 1 | Location: Plano, Texas | Registered: October 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stacy Brownlee said:

"Just remember that a sugarmama leads to sugarbabies and daycare is $1000 a month too!"

That figure is, per child in the Big City for a decent place.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hook Em,

If you want to be an ADA,I suggest you get ready to consolidate your loans & extend them out 20 years to pay. A depressing prospect.

However, I concur with all those who say they love this job. I interned with a DA's office & I was hooked. The camaraderie is great, a good sense of humor is essential b/c prosecutors for the most part have pretty healthy but sick senses of humor. To my mind, there is nothing like being a prosecutor and having the honor of announcing "the State's ready" or sending a really deserving piece of crap (excuse my French) to prison for a very long time. Or having a person who's family member has been killed or victimized look you in the eye with tears in their eyes & hug your neck and thank you with their whole heart. It makes all the long hours, low pay, sleepness nights, time away from your kids worth it.

Well, the only thing better is when my kids hug my neck & tell me how much they love me.

Any questions?

Posts: 50 | Location: Anderson, Texas | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hook em,

I can offer a slightly different perspective from which to echo the same sentiments. I grew up in Corpus Christi and somehow got into Harvard Law. I ended up with a great education, a vast mountain of debt (my wife went to the grad school there so we have a nice house in student loans) and a job at a large law firm upon graduation. I did civil work for large oil and tech companies, made a fat six figure salary and felt my life, my passion, and all sense of professional enjoyment or fulfillment drain away from me while I was there.

I ended up resigning, taking a position as an ACA, and taking a 66% pay cut to do it.

I have never been happier. I love this job and wouldn't trade it for all the prestige or money in the world. There is no comparison between the work I used to do and what I do now. At a large or even mid-size firm you MAY get to second chair a trial of some significance, or maybe a hearing on a motion, by your third year. You MAY do the right thing once in while if it happens to be profitable for your client and your firm (which it generally isn't).

It is possible to manage a large debt. See about consolidating and getting on a long repayment plan. Look into whether you qualify for perkins loans forgiveness and look into any loan assistance or forgiveness programs your law school or community may have.

Of course an internship one summer would be ideal in terms of getting a glimpse of what your life as a prosecutor will look like.

Prosecutors are the only lawyers around that have an obligation to see that justice is done. We get to wear that white hat. Sometimes that hat is heavy and sets a difficult standard to adhere to but its worth it.

Most really good lawyers work hard. If you're going to put the effort in, its awfully nice to know you're putting effort into doing the right thing. Makes it a lot easier to sleep at night.

Posts: 79 | Location: Williamson County | Registered: August 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post