TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Sex Offender Conditions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sex Offender Conditions Login/Join 
posted
I apologize if this is old news, but one of our probation officers made the point that our sex offender conditions are not keeping up with technology. Although they mention the internet, the world wide web, etc. and one could most likely argue that this situation is covered by the existing conditions, they do not specifically address cell phones, especially those with web access, etc. and even the picture phones are probably something that needs to be addressed. Does anyone have a set of conditions that they have used to address the advances in technology, especially the hand held web devices, cell phones, blackberries, etc.? Any help would be appreciated.

Posts: 83 | Location: Caldwell,Texas,USA | Registered: June 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We use "or any device that is able to access the internet, world-wide web, or other public network." So, the D can have a cell phone, it just cannot be web enabled / capable. Problem that has arisen a couple of times is employer owned equipment (like a hotel reservation system) that has web access. Another issue is that even a cashier at a business that accepts credit cards typically operates a device (the credit card machine) that has access to the internet - depends on how hyper-technical you want to get. Of course, no mot. to revoke based on operating a credit card machine, but I'm just giving an example of how difficult it can be to actually draft something perfect; thus our compromise "catch-all".

Posts: 325 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: November 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, thanks everybody for the information, if we end up with some new major language on these types of conditions, I will pass it on. Ain't technology great. Wink

Posts: 83 | Location: Caldwell,Texas,USA | Registered: June 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can always contact Susie Morton at Fort Bend DA's office. If anyone is on the cutting edge of sex offender cop's, it'll be her. She knows her stuff.

Now I gotta look at my cop's...

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post