Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A DWI Nonrefusal Login/Join 
posted
Here is a trivia quiz: Why did this public official, unlike many others, provide physical evidence that could show intoxication?

The Woodlands congressman arrested on DUI charge in South Dakota

DALLAS � A Republican congressman from The Woodlands has been arrested and charged with driving under the influence in South Dakota.

A state trooper pulled over U.S. Rep Kevin Brady, 50, Friday night for a problem with the taillights of his vehicle, Clay County Sheriff Andy Howe said.

It was homecoming weekend at the University of South Dakota, so officers were on the alert for driving violations including manning sobriety checkpoints, Howe said.

Brady is a graduate of the University of South Dakota.

Authorities are waiting for results of a blood test to determine Brady's blood-alcohol level at the time of the arrest. The legal limit in South Dakota is 0.08.

If convicted of the misdemeanor charge, Brady faces up to $1,000 fine and a year in jail. A typical penalty for a first offense is $300 to $400, Howe said.

Brady was in East Texas Monday and could not be reached for comment, said Sarah Stephens, a spokeswoman for Brady.

Brady attended meetings with residents in Jasper, Newton, Deweyville and Buna on Monday to discuss hurricane recovery. He plans to visit Orange, Vidor, Kountze and Woodville on Tuesday.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gee John, you pan them when they don't, and pan them when they do. Maybe he was just following the law and providing a role model for his constituents. It is possible (despite the prosecutor's shock at hearing this) that other factors lead to an abnormally high blood/alcohol content.

Posts: 319 | Location: Midland, TX | Registered: January 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, Beck, you have fallen right into my thread trap. I don't think my trivia question pans or praises public officials. It merely asks why this case is different.

Could it perhaps, just maybe, be because there is a difference between Texas and South Dakota law? Anyone want to guess the difference?

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could it be that in South Dakota, if you refuse they will take your blood without your consent even in a standard, non-accident, DWI. Is that the answer?

Posts: 293 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: January 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Either, refusal is a crime, or it's because he hoped there would be some delay if he chose blood over breath.

Posts: 764 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I looked at dwidata.org and couldn't find any thing tougher there than here as far as penalties for refusal. Is it something new John, don't keep us in suspense?

Posts: 641 | Location: Longview, Texas | Registered: October 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Legislative immunity for homecoming visiting dignitaries, regardless of the blow?

Posts: 319 | Location: Midland, TX | Registered: January 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Because he was too intoxicated to know any better?

Posts: 261 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about a person has his license pulled immediately if he doesn't consent to a breath or blood sample?

Posts: 532 | Location: McKinney, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He was so drunk he forgot to refuse?

Posts: 357 | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
oops. Sorry Mr. Alpert. Hadn't hit the refresh button since court and didn't see your brilliant answer.

Posts: 357 | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The best answer should be Richard's, whatever the actual answer -- and maybe it's both!!

Posts: 532 | Location: McKinney, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would say Richard has the best answer. Apparently, after some quick research by TDCAA's Executive Director, the law in S. Dakota is pretty much the same until you get to your 3rd DWI, when the sample is mandatory.

But, hey, I sure did enjoy all the speculation.

Kind of makes you wonder why we don't change the law here in Texas, eh?

posted Hide Post
Regardless of the number of priors, samples should be mandatory in Texas. It would eliminate a great deal of time-consuming and, unfortunately, all too often inaccurate litigation. It is not too intrusive to blow, and if you have problems with the reliability of the breath test, then submit to a blood test. Providing a sample seems to be nothing more than an important incident of implied consent law. Keep our roads safe!

posted Hide Post
I just got done reading South Dakota statutes regarding DWI, so at least humor me...

1) Maybe because there is a presumption of no intoxication if BAC is .05 or less (SD 32-23-7)

2) Maybe because person cannot refuse on third or subsequent DWI (SD 32-23-10 (1))

3) Or, if I am reading this right, it may be that, if you fail to "invoke the provision ... which permits him to refuse to submit to a test, then the failure to invoke the provision permitting a refusal to submit to a test shall constitute consent and authority to administer a test..." (SD 32-23-13)

I give up Confused

Posts: 70 | Location: Sinton, Texas, USA | Registered: January 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just a wild speculation, but, since its the results of a blood test they are waiting for; is it possible he reached that point of intoxication called unconsciousness at some point prior to refusing a breath/blood test?

If he was unable to refuse, does S.D. law permit the officer to drain a vein sans warrant; or did an enterprising young trooper get fired up and draft a warrant?

Posts: 47 | Location: Dumas, Tx | Registered: March 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think we need to jack with the DWI laws. What we need is a new offense: Failure to Give breath/blood/ or urine sample when requested, if there is P/C Def. may be DWI.

FTGS (FailureTo Give Sample) should have the exact same penalties as DWI, and both DWI and FTGS priors should count for enhancements for both offenses.

I suspect FTGS would be a lot easier to prove to a jury than would DWI. Smile

Posts: 686 | Location: Beeville, Texas, U.S.A. | Registered: March 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My friends in SD tell me that they also have a pretty high refusal rate, and there is no mandatory blood draw for a first offense. So looks like the Congressman may have simply followed the law and obeyed a lawful request of a peace officer to cooperate. Refreshing.

Posts: 273 | Registered: January 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rob kepple:
My friends in SD tell me that they also have a pretty high refusal rate, and there is no mandatory blood draw for a first offense. So looks like the Congressman may have simply followed the law and obeyed a lawful request of a peace officer to cooperate. Refreshing.

Very refreshing indeed. Taking responsibility for one's actions seems to be a rare thing these days.

Posts: 115 | Location: Andrews, Texas | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was he on record somewhere as supporting legislation in Texas to criminalize a refusal or as supporting automatic blood draws on refusal?

Posts: 568 | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post