TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Double Standard?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Double Standard? Login/Join 
posted
Would this be a story if the teacher was male and the student female?

June 11, 2006, 12:27PM
Age issue questioned in teacher-student sex law

Associated Press

DALLAS � The arrest of a high school teacher for allegedly having sex with an 18-year-old student has raised questions about the age constraints of the state's three-year-old law criminalizing student-teacher sexual relationships.

Amy McElhenney, 25, was arrested May 25 and charged with having an improper relationship with a student. The Spanish teacher and former Miss Texas contestant faces up to 20 years in prison.

But some lawmakers say the Hebron High School student's status as a legal adult should exempt McElhenney from the felony charge.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Right or wrong (I think it's wrong)and for better or worse, there's a double standard for attractive people, too. I think it will be hard for a jury to send a young, attractive woman down the river.

I had many juries refuse to send young (not so attractive) women to the pen when I prosecuted drug cases on the border. And they were all caught with LARGE quantities of narcotics. But in this case, I'd venture to say it will be near impossible, with an adult victim who was a willing participant.

What she stands accused of is morally and legally wrong, but don't get me started on the double standards and inequities in life. Good luck to the prosecutor/s on this one.

Posts: 176 | Location: Hempstead, TX, USA | Registered: June 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post