TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Anyone else having problems getting federal prior conviction papers?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone else having problems getting federal prior conviction papers? Login/Join 
posted
My sec'y, who orders the pen packs and plea papers on our new cases, informed me that the federal clerks now want $185 to find the plea papers, and then they want to charge us something like $7.50 for the first page and 50 cents for each subsequent page.

Has anyone else had this problem? In the past they never charged us, why have they started now?

Frown

Posts: 686 | Location: Beeville, Texas, U.S.A. | Registered: March 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had that problem on many occasions. Although it's been a while since I've delt with that, the prices you quote for the copies sound about right. I also recall that there was some sort of search/recovery fee for the file, but it sure wasn't $185. My best sucess has been with finding a single person inside the federal office I'm working with, then make nice with them. After they retrieve the file they will tell me if the documents I need are even in there. Alternatively, I've used the federal probation department to help me get my documents. You might try that approach.

On a related matter, how do you prove-up those federal convictions? None of the ones I've had included fingerprints. And tracking down a set of prints through the U.S. Marshall (as I've been told to do) is a nightmare.

Posts: 200 | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a good relationship with the Marshal's Office or FBI here. We call them, find out what FCI they were sent to (sometimes this will be on the RAP sheet also), call the records clerk - usually in the Warden's office for that unit and they can send certified everything - including photographs and fingerprints - for free (every time I've asked) and quicker than going through the District Clerk's offices.

Posts: 59 | Location: Tyler, Texas | Registered: May 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sara, this topic would make for a good article for The Prosecutor. Everyone has problems obtaining federal judgments.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And Louisiana ones, but I suspect that is because you are dealing with a foreign country.

Posts: 374 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had my investigator personally serve the clerk for the Southern District with a subpoena about a year ago. Amazingly enough, I got the judgment in the mail within a week. Seems he didn't want to have to appear in my county with the document at trial. Imagine that. ;-)

Posts: 77 | Location: Nacogdoches County, Texas | Registered: April 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The solution to your problem, where possible, is to ask for the pen packet from the actual prison unit where the defendant was sent. When you get your CCH, there should be a unit described where the person was received into a federal prison (Bryan FPC, Three Rivers FCI, etc.) Just write the warden of that prison unit directly and ask for a pen packet. What I've gotten from them in the past has been quite good.

A good resource for all of the prison addresses (and very useful for out of state stuff as well, even from Louisiana) is the National Directory of Law Enforcement Administrators, which is about 2 inches thick of info and addresses. Their website is listed as www.safetysource.com or by phone at (800)647-7579.

Posts: 280 | Location: Weatherford, Texas | Registered: March 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post