TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Make up your mind
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Make up your mind Login/Join 
posted
The Austin American Statesman can't seem to make up its mind whether defense lawyers handling death writs are being underpaid for the work, overpaid for their qualifications, or maybe (a la the Three Bears) it is just right. For the latest inane series of quotes from self-interested defense attorneys, go to:

http://www.austin360.com/aas/metro/060502/0605habeas.html

This article is typical in that it begins with a premise that the death penalty is bad and so everything about it must be bad. With no real analysis (just a series of quotes), conclusions are drawn about an entire system.

Is it better to ignore this kind of article or try to respond? (And thanks Rob Kepple for providing one balancing quote for the article.)

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think we (through the Association or independent of it) need to speak out. We are the voice of the victims and the public at large. As Rob pointed out, and as is often the case, there is not a lot that a defense atty can do in many Capital cases. All Capital cases do not go "death penalty" and it is logical to assume that those selected for that option are picked in part because of the strength of the case. Every time I hear out local paper's editorial section bemoan the fate of some soon to be executed killer I cringe at the lack of comment about why that person is on death row. If I had my way every such article would contain at least a paragraph spelling out details about the killers victim, who they left behind, how the family feels about waiting 10+ years for justice to be served. In closing I'm reminded of a quote by Edmund Burke which I think speaks to our need to respond, "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
I think it would be a terrible mistake for our Association to do "nothing".

Posts: 261 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post