TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    The Pharmacy Doctrine--too late for this session
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Pharmacy Doctrine--too late for this session Login/Join 
posted
Pharmacist who shot would-be robber posts bail

OKLAHOMA CITY � A pharmacist accused of first-degree murder in the shooting of a would-be robber was released on $100,000 bail Thursday in a case that has stirred debate about self-defense rights.

District Attorney David Prater said Ersland was justified in shooting Parker once in the head. But Prater said Ersland went too far when he shot Parker five more times while Parker lay unconscious.

Link

Posts: 2138 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hypothetically, if he was dead after once being shot in the head, wouldn't it be abuse of a corpse rather than murder. I mean, if you were dead set on prosecuting a business owner shooting a robber?

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess "shot Parker five more times while Parker lay unconscious," takes away any chance at the right to continue to shoot jury instruction - "the defendant had the right to continue to shoot until the danger or apparent danger ceases. The danger being viewed from the defendant's standpoint at the time of the difficulty."

Posts: 261 | Location: Lampasas, Texas, USA | Registered: November 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Statements like that make me wonder what type of lawyer District Attorney David Prater was before he became a prosecutor.

Posts: 151 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like he's a politician.

The surveillance video I saw online doesn't show what the bad guy was doing when on the ground. He was out of the scene, blocked by shelving.

Does Nifong have a half-brother?

Posts: 137 | Location: Corsicana, TX | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suspect that the DA will have a much harder time proving that the deceased was still alive, than the defense will have proving, if he was, he did not deserve to be.

We need a poll:
1. no bill
2. guilty of murder
3. not guilty
4. guilty of a lesser ie. abuse of a corpse
5. not guilty and he gets: a key to the city, they rename the NRA banquet and a city park after him.

Posts: 44 | Location: Amarillo, Tx, USA | Registered: March 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post