TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    RE: Witness list
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RE: Witness list Login/Join 
posted
Just curious - when do you provide your list of witnesses to defense counsel? Historically we provide the list prior to voir dire on the day of trial pursuant to our standard discovery order. Several attorneys are wanting the list sooner. Of course, if they looked in the court's file and our subpoena requests they would know sooner than the day of trial. Would like some feedback please.

Posts: 33 | Location: Cameron, Texas | Registered: October 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The day of trial is hardly discovery. Typically, we provide such notice 10 days before trial.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do not provide a list at all. I photocopy the entire offense report and witness statements at the beginning of the case and turn it all over to the defense.

Posts: 1029 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since our clerk used to set every indicted felony case for trial each criminal jury week and our office and the local defense bar couldn't possibly try all those cases, I'd send counsel in the 5 oldest cases a witness list and extraneous act notice about 30 days out. Sort of our way of saying "you're up" or "you're on deck."

Posts: 50 | Location: Jasper, TX, USA | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post