TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    New Offense?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Offense? Login/Join 
posted
Since the guy does not use any weapons, it cannot be aggravated robbery. And since the 'victims' willingly hand over the money, I don't think it could be theft from a person.

What do you think the charge should be??

Bandit Hypnotizing Bank Tellers, Cashiers

UPDATED: 5:13 pm EDT March 24, 2008

ROME, Italy -- A mysterious bearded man in Rome is wanted by police for using hypnotism to mesmerize cashiers and bank tellers while he steals thousands of dollars.

Surveillance video from inside a store that aired on CCTV showed the man walking up to a supermarket cashier and apparently mesmerizing her before stealing cash.

The same man is believed to be responsible for robbing banks.

A bank teller said the man approached her, leaned over and told her to "look into my eyes," the report said. The next thing she noticed was her till was empty.

Another cashier handed over more than $1,200 after she said she became mesmerized by the man.

Local 6 reported that the victim's don't remember any of the theft, only that their actions seemed natural at the time.

http://www.local6.com/spotlight/15694571/detail.html

Posts: 234 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
31.01. DEFINITIONS. In this chapter:
(1) "Deception"means:
(A) creating or confirming by words or conduct a
false impression of law or fact that is likely to affect the judgment of another in the transaction, and that the actor does not
believe to be true;

Posts: 641 | Location: Longview, Texas | Registered: October 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also, maybe no effective consent:

(3) �Effective consent� includes consent by a person legally authorized to act for the owner. Consent is not effective if:

(A) induced by deception or coercion;

TPC 31.01(3)

(C) given by a person who by reason of youth, mental disease or defect, or intoxication is known by the actor to be unable to make reasonable property dispositions;

Posts: 527 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas, | Registered: May 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
(3)  "Effective consent" includes consent by a person 
legally authorized to act for the owner.  Consent is 
not effective if:
  (A)  induced by deception or coercion;
  (B)  given by a person the actor knows is not legally 
       authorized to act for the owner;
  (C)  given by a person who by reason of youth, mental 
       disease or defect, or intoxication is known by 
       the actor to be unable to make reasonable property 
       dispositions;
  (D)  given solely to detect the commission of an offense;
       or              
  (E)  given by a person who by reason of advanced age 
       is known by the actor to have a diminished capacity 
       to make informed and rational decisions about the 
       reasonable disposition of property.

Posts: 689 | Registered: March 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was going to go with the "deception" theory... but then I thought to myself that perhaps this should have been posted under "A Frog is a Deadly Weapon"-- and his dark, mesmerizing and mysterious eyes could be considered a deadly weapon.

Posts: 61 | Location: Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: January 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The hypno-toad from Futurama is strangely compelling.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S1vk2-aPkI&feature=related

Posts: 527 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas, | Registered: May 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After watching that I suddenly feel...the need....to....give you....all my money.

Posts: 234 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post