TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Reporting outcry of sexual abuse
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reporting outcry of sexual abuse Login/Join 
posted
A probation officer had a probationer outcry to sexual abuse that occurred 15 to 20 years ago. The statute of limitations has expired in this instance. The offender was and still is a paster. The probationer does not want to go public at this time but maybe later.

Q: Is the probation officer obligated to report the allegation of sexual abuse to law enforcement? The statute of limitations has expired so there is not a criminal case. But since the offender still holds the same job maybe after a fishing expedition there are other victims. Any advice?

Thanks.

Posts: 66 | Location: New Braunfels, Texas, USA | Registered: October 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the PO has a duty, then so does anyone else who is aware of the outcry. I can't think of a set of facts I where I would prosecute a case like this one but I don't read a lot of discretion in the statute. What if the perp is now woking as a __________ or volunteering as a _____________.?

Posts: 723 | Location: Fort Worth, TX, USA | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We should use that statute as a motivator, not a punishment. Tell whomever, "Look, the law says you have to do this, so just do it."

Posts: 2138 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your responses. I believe it has been passed on to law enforcement.

Posts: 66 | Location: New Braunfels, Texas, USA | Registered: October 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post