TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Failure to Report Child Abuse - Is there a statute of limitations really?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Failure to Report Child Abuse - Is there a statute of limitations really? Login/Join 
posted
I have a mother admitting that she knew her daugther had been sexually abused three years ago by her ex husband and that she failed to report it. She is only reporting it now out of vindictiveness for other reasons. The child has now outcried to multiple instances of abuse but we only have evidence that the mother knew about the first time. I don't know that I have enough to charge endangering so I'm looking at failure to report. If the date of offense is the date she developed knowledge of the abuse then the two year statute of limitations has run.

But is failure to report child abuse a continuous offense? It seems like a reasonable argument but that would mean that the statue of limitations never really expires, at least not until the abuse is discovered through other means. I have found cases where the argument was made by the State but none where the Court made a definitive ruling on the issue.

Posts: 106 | Location: Galveston, Tx. | Registered: May 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post