TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Bond Condition
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bond Condition Login/Join 
posted
We have a case where husband shot (but did not kill) wife and wife's boyfriend. We are thinking about making a bond condition where he has to turn all his guns over to the Sheriff's Office. Has anyone ever done this?

Posts: 170 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: May 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might look at the "standard" probation condition that the defendant not use, possess, or have under his control any firearm or deadly weapon. The victim may want to seek a protective order that could accomplish the same thing. I realize that having him turn them over to the sheriff is a little different, and maybe it feels better to have him actually turn them in, but of course you still don't know if he has turned in ALL of his guns. And there is always the possibility that he claims that a gun was damaged, scratched, or whatever while in the possession of the sheriff. In summary though, it seems like a reasonable condition of the bond.

Posts: 325 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: November 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a murder case where the judge had ordered all his firearms turned over to his attorney as a condition of his bond. Sounds great, but I later got his bond revoked for displaying his handgun at someone during a dispute...twice. These criminals these days just can't be trusted!

Posts: 77 | Location: Nacogdoches County, Texas | Registered: April 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get a protective order! Then if he does not get rid of the guns he has violated the protective order and you can seek a bond revocation. Most Defense Attorneys love this because they typically take the guns for "safe keeping" or in other words a fee.

Posts: 261 | Location: Lampasas, Texas, USA | Registered: November 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post