TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Glover v. State - "Funny because it's true" comment
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glover v. State - "Funny because it's true" comment Login/Join 
posted
"Our ancestors are convulsing in their graves over the seriousness with which we treat such nonsensical arguments. And some day, a court of old men and women who have been totally sheltered from the realities of criminal law, criminal litigation, criminal defendants, and victims of criminals, will probably bite off on this argument."

Posts: 62 | Location: Richmond, Texas, USA | Registered: May 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Our ancestors are convulsing in their graves over the seriousness with which we treat such nonsensical arguments. And some day, a court of old men and women who have been totally sheltered from the realities of criminal law, criminal litigation, criminal defendants, and victims of criminals, will probably bite off on this argument

Comeon, give us the cite and don't make me dig through every Glover v. State that's out there Big Grin

Posts: 394 | Location: Waco, Tx | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah- it's the case of the week on the front page. Nevermind!

Posts: 394 | Location: Waco, Tx | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another example of a defendant trying to portray himself as the victim. What happened to Glover was reprehensible, horrible, and his mother should have landed in prison herself. By the same token, Glover had a choice. Pure and simple. Maybe pedophiles can't help being pedophiles. But they have a choice not to victimize the countless children who suffer every day at their depraved hands.

Glover was 37 years old. Does he really expect people to feel sympathy that, in all the time he had as a mature adult, he never sought help for his "problem"? Was there any testimony that he could not conform his conduct to the requirements of the law by not offending?

It is sad that we are in an age where we have to entertain, even for a moment, the idea that these sick perverts are worthy of some consideration. Having made the clear choice to ignore the rights of a child to be free from such harm, and instead choosing to violate her body and to "kill her soul" through his brutal attacks, to me, just helps make the case stronger for the death penalty for scum like him.

I am not sure I believe in hell. I tend to believe God can forgive us for things that society may never be able to forgive. I have never made a judgment about the immortal soul of a criminal defendant. But if there is a hell, I am pretty sure there is a special place reserved for Glover and the like.

Posts: 218 | Location: The Border | Registered: April 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While the opinion in Glover (No. 07-11-00392-CR) is a very fine one, it does not contain the mentioned language, unless my eyes are deceiving me. In fact, I have found no court opinion from the United States having that language.

Posts: 2386 | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was a quote from the TDCAA weekly case summaries, Martin.

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, the last word in the title of the post had another meaning. I misunderstood Brody's comment.

Posts: 2386 | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post