TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    hole-punched pen packet
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

hole-punched pen packet Login/Join 
posted
I was always taught (without reference to any authority -- except for the boss') that pen packets should never be hole-punched, unstapled, or otherwise damaged. I know that is the best practice, but recently I had an old case I inherited come back up on the trial docket, and the pen packet was hole-punched. Can I get these hole-punched documents admitted or am I out luck?

Posts: 176 | Location: Hempstead, TX, USA | Registered: June 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never heard of anyone concerned about hole punches. What I have heard expressed is that if you take a certified packet apart, you are impairing the truth of the certification.

That said, it seems more like something that should go to weight rather than admissibility, and it certainly predates the era of photocopiers and scanners and giving copies to the defense . . .

Posts: 2138 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And what about a yellow sticky?

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember there was some controversy about some judge refusing to admit a pen pack that had holes punched in it when placed in a da's file. That was about 15 years ago. That led to a rule in that office of no hole punching in any pen packs or J&S's, etc. They were placed in a manila envelope in the file, that said "DO NOT HOLE PUNCH".

I don't punch holes in any official document, or remove the staples. I have the staff photocopy them for discovery without removing the staples, just to avoid problems.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Years ago I had an important detail in a document obliterated by a punched hole. Since then, I try to never punch holes in any kind of certified document, def's statement, or anything else that would be offered into evidence.

Posts: 137 | Location: Corsicana, TX | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post