TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Asset Seizure and Forfeiture
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Asset Seizure and Forfeiture Login/Join 
posted
I want to get more educated on Asset Seizures. The TDCAA Asset Seizure book is dated 2003. That's quite a bit of time passed. Before I pend my $50.00 plus S&H for the book, can ya'll give me headsup if there are other books of the same great TDCAA quality covering the same information. Or, is the book still current enough two legislative sessions later?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,

CRJ

Posts: 46 | Location: Seguin, TX, USA | Registered: April 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The basic legal standards for asset forfeiture haven't changed much. There has been additional case law but nothing radical.

There may be some additions during this legislative session that will be worth noting.

All in all, I would recommend the book. We recently got a copy for our new civil lawyer, who handles our asset forfeiture cases.

You also could supplement the book with any papers presented through TDCAA conference over the last few years. Check the website for downloadable files.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with the post from JB -- the information in there is still current. We do, however, plan on doing an update following the 2009 legislative session, but we probably won't have it completed until fall of 2009. If you need a book in the meantime, I'd think the current version would be helpful enough to buy.

Thanks for your interest!

Posts: 115 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: November 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also recommend meeting with the lawyer in your county that handles asset forfeitures. A good relationship between law enforcement and the prosecuting attorney is the key to a successful case. There are all sorts of local protocols that have been adopted to make the system work. Many jurisdictions have minimum standards that trigger initiation of a case.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As always, thanks for sharing your thoughts and guidance.

Best,

CRJ

Posts: 46 | Location: Seguin, TX, USA | Registered: April 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post