TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Digital Evidence
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Digital Evidence Login/Join 
posted
I am currently preparing a class for this summer on Digital Evidence (cell phones, MySpace, Computer Forensics and so on). This would include obtaining and the presentation of this type of evidence.

I was hoping for a little help in finding interesting cases in which this evidence "made the difference" that you would be willing to share. Thanks in advance

Todd Smith
Chief Investigator
Lubbock Co. (Tx) CDA
tsmith@co.lubbock.tx.us

Posts: 61 | Location: Lubbock, Texas | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know what impact the evidence will have, yet, since the case has yet to be indicted, but I had a bond hearing on a sexual assault of a child case yesterday where the child victim had described to investigators that the defendant's penis was two different colors. Turns out that while the mother of the victim was in the police station making the complaint, the defendand text-messaged the mother a note saying "I miss you," (only it was in spanish) and attached a nice camera phone picture of his erect penis! Sure enough, it is in fact 1/2 pink, 1/2 brown. Who'da thunk it? I'll let you know how it comes out. (I can hear the groans from here, thanks.)

Posts: 36 | Location: Kaufman, Texas, USA | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The IAI (http://www.theiai.org/guidelines) has some info on the site concerning Digital Evidence and Imaging Technology. You can download the working group publications and see if they have anything you can use.

Posts: 61 | Location: Palestine, Texas USA | Registered: April 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post