TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Attorney - Bondsman Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Attorney - Bondsman Question Login/Join 
posted
Defendant has retained an attorney on one set of charges.

Defendant made bond for those charges, bond was made by a local bondsman.

Defendant is arrested for retaliation charges arising out of his indicted case.

Defendant has his bail made by a different attorney, who is also a bondsman.

Is there a problem with this scenario. (Attorney/bondsman is also hired to represent a codefendant in the indicted case.)

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will take a swing at this.

Here in the competetive big city, it is not that unusual for 'claim jumpin' to occur. Defendants aren't always forthright with their lawyer(s)about the status of their case(s). If I follow your post, first atty has (maybe had) first case and second attorney now has first case and second case. As the prosecutor I would want to know, probably via the court files, who has withdrawn and who is officially of record. You certainly don't want to be in the middle of any argument they may be having and you won't want to discuss the case with the wrong person. A motion to withdraw/substitute counsel should take care of it.

Posts: 39 | Location: Travis | Registered: May 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post