TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Improper Relationship Between Educator & Student?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Improper Relationship Between Educator & Student? Login/Join 
posted
I have a case in which an in house IT employee of the school district had a illegal relationship (as defined by the statute) with a current student (17 yoa). He holds no type of certificate under education code. Does Penal Code 21.12 apply to this type of employee? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 84 | Location: Fairfield, Texas | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
code says "employee"

Posts: 52 | Location: Fort Worth | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
diregard. I didn't read the question properly.

Posts: 52 | Location: Fort Worth | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
21.12(a)(1) applies to any employee (certified or not) in a relationship with a student at the same school that they work at.

21.12(a)(2) applies to only employees with certifications in a relationship with a student in the same district that they work at.

So the first is broader to the employee but more restricted to the student, and the second is more restricted to the employee but broader to the student. Smile

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks a million Andrea.

Posts: 84 | Location: Fairfield, Texas | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have prosecuted both janitors and teachers/coaches under this statute

Posts: 334 | Location: Beeville, Texas., USA | Registered: September 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post