TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Conflict of Interest at Counsel Table
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Conflict of Interest at Counsel Table Login/Join 
posted
I have a weird situation and want some feedback from anyone who may have had the same situation. I have an upcoming jury trial (Improper Sexual Activity with Person in Custody) in Pecos County on April 25, 2011. The defendant's wife works for the defendant's attorney and he wants her to sit at the counsel table. I think that will make the jury feel uncomfortable. Any suggestions?

Posts: 2 | Location: Fort Stockton, Texas, USA | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any chance she might have factual knowledge related to the case? People under a subpoena can't stay in court during trial as a general "rule." Wink

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The edefndant doesn't have a right to any potential witness sitting at counsel table. It is more than conceiveable that she will be called as a witness by the defense at some point. Simply because the defendant doesn't subpoena her for trial doesn't excuse her from the Rule, but I would make sure that she is under subpoena, so she can't tell the Court she will not be a witness and then later "change her mind".

Posts: 218 | Location: The Border | Registered: April 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How would a subpoena work with the husband-wife privilege? I would simply approach the bench at the beginnig of the trial and clarify that she will not be able to testify if she remains in the courtroom.

Posts: 1029 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your suggestions, I will let you know how this trial turns out. Eek

Posts: 2 | Location: Fort Stockton, Texas, USA | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is his wife an attorney? If she's not, then why would she get to sit inside the bar?

Posts: 515 | Location: austin, tx, usa | Registered: July 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, with whom was the defendant having improper sexual activity?

Posts: 74 | Location: Hempstead, TX USA | Registered: February 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post