TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    How does a contempt hearing work?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How does a contempt hearing work? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Austin lawyer Adam Reposa, who was found in contempt of court and sentenced to jail for making a simulated masturbatory gesture in court in 2008, suffered another legal setback today and could end up behind bars within a month.

Details.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Austin criminal defense lawyer Adam Reposa, sentenced to 90 days in jail for making a gesture simulating masturbation in a Travis County courtroom in 2008, will begin serving his sentence this evening, according to a statement issued by his law office.

Reposa, 35, shown at right after his arrest, has been free on bond while appealing the contempt of court finding and the jail sentence, both of which have been upheld by the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals. He will turn himself in at the Travis County jail at 10:30 this tonight, the statement said.

In a hearing scheduled for tomorrow at 10:30 a.m., Reposa will ask senior state District Judge Paul Davis, who sentenced Reposa, to allow him to serve the time in a non-traditional manner, such as on weekends or in home confinement, according to his lawyer Todd Dudley.

Details.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Senior state District Judge Paul Davis announced today that he would allow Austin lawyer Adam Reposa to serve part of his 90-day sentence for contempt of court in home confinement and part of it in a sheriff's office weekend work program.

Details.

posted Hide Post

Above business card originally posted here.

posted Hide Post
I wonder if that has been vetted by the State Bar advertising review department...

Posts: 1089 | Location: UNT Dallas | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Austin criminal defense lawyer Adam Reposa, who was found in contempt of court for making a gesture simulating masturbation before a Travis County judge in 2008, has accepted a three-year probation of his law license.

Reposa, 35, whose nickname is listed as "Bulletproof" on the State Bar of Texas website, remains eligible to practice law during his probation, which began March 1, according to a recent memo by the State Bar.

Details.

posted Hide Post
I wonder if Mr. R will use the photo on his website that graced the online edition of The Statesman yesterday showing him wearing striped jail clothing, unshaven and slumped in a courtroom chair? Part of me thinks he might, so he can say "Been there, done that".

I'll note that when I dealt with him, he was pleasant and mannerly.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
During oral arguments, Charleston's chief counsel Dan Roy said his clients could restrict any public speech they deemed offensive, an argument quickly dismissed by Justice John Paul Stevens, 90, who turned to his colleagues and made a repeated up-and-down hand motion intended to simulate masturbation.

Details.

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
earlier response by me.

"I am so disappointed that the justices of the Supreme Court should feel the need to make their point by using the sort of profanity quoted in this article. Call me old-fashioned (or anything other than the names they used), but it should have been possible for them to make their point effectively and still maintain the high road.

How am I supposed to tell my children that profanity isn't necessary and is offensive. At least to some people. Frown"

I fell for it hook, line and sinker. I was even seriously depressed about the degradation of society. Call me gullible.

[This message was edited by JK McCown on 05-10-10 at .]

Posts: 172 | Location: Georgetown, Texas, USA | Registered: June 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post